Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connection to Broadband

Status
Not open for further replies.

laranda

Vendor
Feb 23, 2003
GB
Having just restored my computer because of a virus and worm neither of which were picked up by McAfee my broadband connection has gone down. I know the modem is working as I have access through another computer. I am accessing through an Internet card and have DHCP enabled. The computer is picking up an IP address but is failing to ping the ISP. Any clues what may be the trouble - how can I resolve it- how do I get Windows to ping?
Thanks in advance

Do you have a router that both computers plug into? Or are you switching which computer is connected to the modem?

Either way power everything off and power it up one device at a time starting with the modem and ending with your computer.

I'm sorry to confuse but in fact the two machines are separate and not linked. The cards are remnants from a time when they were networked and the broad band gives the option of connecting via a card. There is also an option of connecting through an ISB connection but the same problem occurs.

What IP address are you getting? An IP address of 169.254.x.x means that you are NOT getting an IP address through DHCP.

The current Ip address is 80.3.25.108 with a subset of 255.255.255.0.
I have renewed and refreshed on a number of occasions and this comes up consistently.

No response to corel and to 207 shows host computer unreachable.

I also (having read through previous replies) pinged 127.0.0.1 and got a response. Now I'm really confused!

Host name DAVID
DNS servers
Node Type Broadcast
NetBios Scope ID
IP Routing enabled No
Wins proxy enabled No
NetBIOS resolution uses DNS No

0 Ethernet Adapter

Description NDIS 5.0 Driver
Physical Address 00-40-95-35-CF-AE
DHCP enabled Yes
IP Address 169.254.177.202
Subnet mask 255.255.0.0
Default gateway
DHCP Server 255.255.255.255
Primary WINS server
Secondary WINS server
Lease obtained 02 25 03 09:31:44
Lease expired

The network adapter is currently configured on a class b subnet (255.255.0.0). This is an unnecessary broadcast range and should be change to a class c subnet (255.255.255.0)

Whatever DHCP server is giving you the address seems a bit screwy. You have no DNS entries, no default gateway and teh subnet mask is a class B-level. Where did you get the address of 80.3.25.108?

As I said earlier, an IP address of 169.254.x.x means that you are NOT reaching the DHCP server.

I'm sorry I seem to be demonstrating my ineptitude par excellence. My difficulty is that the machine I want to connect to broadband through the internet adaptor has to be disconnected to enable the other machine to be connected via USB which is the one I am using at the moment. This is the one that has the 80.3.25.32 address with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 and default of 80.3.25.254.
The other machine has the IP address 169 etc.
The card is working properly, and using the ISP test programme comes up as Ok but I still don't seem to be connecting as you rightly say. I have tried pinging (again) the addresses you suggested. 207.61.132.11 failed, as did a ping to 80.3.25.32. Would there be any merit in connecting the other machine through an ISB connection?

So PC 1 is connected to the Internet via USB modem.
PC 2 connects to a network and gets its IP address from <where?>
Is this a home network? If so the connect PC1 to PC2 via your network cards and a crossover cable. Connect PC1 to the internet using the USB connection. Enable Internet Connection sharing on PC1. Assign the NIC in PC1 the address 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0. Assign the NIC in PC2 the address 192.168.1.2/255.255.255.0. Set the default gateway of this to be 192.168.1.1

Hey presto - Internet access.

Gentlemen
As I said earlier my stupidity knows no bounds. I can't beleive it could be this simple.Thank you. All is now well and my sanity restored. Thank you for your patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back