Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

connection string

Status
Not open for further replies.

shopwise

Technical User
Sep 22, 2008
US
my connection string is as follows:

Dim MM_Custom4_STRING
MM_Custom4_STRING = "Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=" & Server.MapPath("/access_db/Custom4.mdb")

apparently there is an issue with it as every time I upload my access database, I receive either one of the following two error messages, both alluding to the connection string. I usually play around with re-uploading the database and connection string page until it finally works.

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '8007000e'

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]General error Unable to open registry key 'Temporary (volatile) Jet DSN for process 0x2124 Thread 0x40ec DBC 0x1c6e004 Jet'.

/index.asp, line 8

OR

unspecified error ETC...

Someone assisted me in creating this connection string and don't know how to modify it to avoid these errors in the future.

are you trying to load the page before the db is fully 100% uploaded? By fully 100% uploaded, wait about 10 seconds after your FTP program says upload complete...

I've had this issue in the past and found on of the many restrictions of using MS Access as your db is that the code cannot connect if the db is open or is currently being downloaded/uploaded.

--------

GOOGLE is a great resource to find answers to questions like "how do i..."

--------

it's been a while and i'm still receiving the error.

There are 2 classic issues with ms-access databases:
1. ms-access is creating temp files, and therefor needs access-rights

you do obviously a re-up of the database, and the program is normally working, so i guess its
2. ms-access creates a small lock file. if you do a re-up you must delete that file; of course you must make sure no users are actually working with the app.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back