Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connection string for data access pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericksoda

Programmer
Oct 22, 2001
US
I have a data access page that reads a MS Access database. This works fine when the mdb file is on my c: drive, but when I put it on the webserver I get an error message: Microsoft Office Web Components could not open the database "\\website\test\fpdb\database.mdb".

My connection string now is:
<a:ConnectionString>Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;User ID=Admin;Data Source=\\website\test\fpdb\database.mdb;Mode=Share Deny None;Extended Properties=&amp;quot;&amp;quot;;Persist Security Info=False;Jet OLEDB:System database=&amp;quot;&amp;quot;;Jet OLEDB:Registry Path=&amp;quot;&amp;quot;;Jet OLEDB:Database Password=&amp;quot;&amp;quot;;Jet OLEDB:Engine Type=0;Jet OLEDB:Database Locking Mode=1;Jet OLEDB:Global Partial Bulk Ops=2;Jet OLEDB:Global Bulk Transactions=1;Jet OLEDB:New Database Password=&amp;quot;&amp;quot;;Jet OLEDB:Create System Database=False;Jet OLEDB:Encrypt Database=False;Jet OLEDB:Don't Copy Locale on Compact=False;Jet OLEDB:Compact Without Replica Repair=False;Jet OLEDB:SFP=False</a:ConnectionString>

Thank you for any help!

David & Faye

Maybe you should post there

Microsoft: Access Project (ADP) forum958

Thank you Jerry & Iashia,

I posted the thread on Access Projects too.

Iashia, I reinstalled Microsoft Office Web components for office 2000, and Microsoft Data Access components. The database was in the fpdb folder, which I think isn't shared, so I put it out in the main directory and redirected the connection string to the database on the shared folder.

I am using Godaddy's web server, which should be fine as far as IIS is concerned. (Frontpage server extensions are installed, too.)

I'm getting the same error message.

Any other suggestions?

Since it worked when it was pointing to the database on the C drive, but when I moved the database to the web server, it stopped working, I think something could be wrong with the connection string...

Thanks again for your help!
Faye

Hi ericksoda,

You need to be sure to specify a UNC path, not an absolute path. I had a bit of trouble understanding this, but as long as your folder is shared your connection string should look like this;

\\webserver\sharedfolder$\db.mdb

Be sure to include the $ at the end of the shared folder name. Also, check and make sure that the folder is really shared.

Thanks for all the advice. It turns out that we never could get the Access pages to work, and had to go back to just Front Page. It works now pretty well.

Thanks!

Faye and David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back