Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

connection problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

itenghm

Technical User
Feb 1, 2007
SY
Hi all
I need help on this strange problem:
We have an access control device attached to Nortel switch 5510. When the switch restarts it doesn't see this device "using ping it doesn't reply" and the port to the device is down so we need to restart the access control device to make it up? I tried to put a small switch between Nortel and AC device and everything went fine but we have a lot of AC devices and it doesn't make any sense to put switches in every location.
Any idea why is this happening?
Thanks

What exactly is this "access control device"? You say you reboot the ERS 5510 and after the switch restarts there is no link on the Ethernet switch port connecting the device? Are you sure the device isn't just giving up?

This obviously doesn't happen with a regular Windows XP desktop/laptop does it?

You may want to look at the speed/duplex and disabling auto-negotiation but I've never heard of a speed/duplex isssue causing a loss of link.

Good Luck!

Hi
Well it is not PC it is a biometric Device for access which has an Ethernet port,
I tried to disable auto-negotiation but it didn't work!!

What is the device? It has to have some type of operating system, embedded or other. What has the vendor said about the problem? Does it require a cross-over cable? I've seen issues with devices (routers, other switches) that would traditionally require a cross-over cable... although the MIDI-X feature of the switch can cause problems when auto-negotiation is disabled and the port speed/duplex are hard set.

Do you have the same issue with a Windows XP desktop/laptop?

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back