Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connection problem C2950

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andreas28

MIS
Oct 5, 2004
DE
Hello to all,
I have a problem with connecting 2 C2950s.
We have a cluster with a C3750 and 4 C2950s, all directly connected via fibre to the 3750. Now I wanted to add another C2950 to thaht cluster, but connected via crossed twisted pair to a C2950. So I have Switch1 (already cluster member) FastEth 0/18, switchport mode trunk and the same configuration on Switch2 (new) on FastEth 0/1.
I can ping switch2 and I can make a telnet session. In the Cisco Network Assistant tool the new switch is marked red (=switch is down) and in topoloy view it says "Link Property, State: BLK".
What I found out is, Switch2 has the wrong cluster commander mac-address, no cluster comander ip-address and no cluster member number. On the other hand the cluster commander knows the knew switch by its mac-address, but says unreachable.
Do have any ideas ?
I hope can understand my question, for I#m not a native English speaker.

Check and make sure CDP is enabled on that switch. If not turn it on and wait the 60 seconds for the CDP update to populate its information. Try that and see if it helps.

CDP is enabled on both switches. "Show cdp ne" shows on each switch the other switch. One difference: with "show cdp ent *" the switch, which is already cluster member, shows no management address of the new switch. On the other hand, the new switch shows as management address the IP address of the other switch.

All fine now. I removed the switch from the cluster and added it again and suddenly it worked.

probably u had to bounce the port , remember sometimes u have to bounce the port in order to get it working , i had that happen to me too.

shut no shut :)

also what i always check is for vlans if they are ok and if the port that is trunking up up ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back