Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connection Pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

jendeacott

Programmer
Feb 11, 2005
GB
Hi,

I'm doing some testing reqarding db connections and something is driving me nuts!

I'm checking the connections made to sql via sp_who2 and using a console app is VS2005.

This is the simple code i'm using, that as far as I know should open and close the connection fine.

Code:
SqlConnection connection = new SqlConnection("String");
SqlCommand command = new SqlCommand(@"INSERT INTO Role(RoleName) values('test')", connection);
connection.Open(); 
command.ExecuteNonQuery();
connection.Close();
command.Dispose();

Console.Read();

I set three breakpoints

[A] at before connection.open()
at command.ExecuteNonQuery();
[C] at Console.Read().

Then I check the connections using sp_who2 in QA.

At point [A] there are no connections (except QA) - Cool

At point there is one connection - Cool

52 sleeping sa JOHNE-PC . test AWAITING COMMAND 0 0 01/01 00:00:00 .Net SqlClient Data Provider 52

at point [C] the same connection is still there = NOT Cool

When I close down the console app the connection is removed.

Is this normal, hopefully I'm missing something!!!!

Cheers,

Web Design Wetherby
Personal Web Design Service

Yes, it's normal. ASP.NET manages it's own connections and you'll find sometimes they are open when you are not expecting them. It's not necessarily a bad thing though as there are pros and cons to this.

Need help finding an answer?

Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

If you really want them to close you should use connection.closeconnectionpool or something like that (can't remember the property) but remember that creating a connection takes time (more then a second) and that's why .net keeps one open all the time.

Christiaan Baes
Belgium

"My new site" - Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back