Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connection lost to SCO os505

Status
Not open for further replies.

sysmrasup

MIS
Aug 5, 2011
MW
I have a foxbase+ 2.1.2 application running on dell 2600 server running SCO os505. Clients connecting to the server say using telnet are frequently getting 'connection to host lost' sometimes as frequent as 10 minutes so the server has to be rebooted for the clients to recconnect.
I have tried installing the os505 on a compaq deskpro without any application but the problem repeats itself. when I telnet to it I only stay connected for some time and then connection is lost. It appears the server loses the multiuser mode and remains in single user mode. What could be the problem, any similar experiences?

sysmrasup said:
It appears the server loses the multiuser mode and remains in single user mode.

Have you attempted to confirm that? Perhaps a cron job that saves the runlevel or who -r command output in a log file on a regular basis?

Perhaps the inetd is going down or something, although that shouldn't disconnect existing connections.

Also make sure that idleout (if memory serves me correctly) isn't enabled, although conversely that shouldn't prevent anyone from reconnecting.

Are you able to log in through the console when it's in this funny state?

Annihilannic.

Thanks Annihilannic, I have indeed confirmed this in that am able to log in on the console. Its only remote log ins that get disconnected.

Well... I guess next time it happens log in that way and do some diagnosis, i.e. can you access the rest of the network still (ping other hosts, see if you can telnet to other hosts), is inetd still running, is the runlevel still correct, can you telnet localhost, etc.

Nothing in the system logs?

Annihilannic.

I tried some diagnostics; cannt ping or telnet other hosts but can only ping or telnet localhost. The result of who -r showed runlevel 2 date time 2 0 S. But I couldnt tell whether inetd is running or not, whats the format for showing inetd status? System logs do not seem to show any leads.

So the system seems to be dropping off the network... might be worth getting one of your network people to check the state of the switch port when this happens.

Also check the status of the interface in ifconfig... and probably other places, I'm very rusty on SCO OpenServer now so hopefully someone else can chip in.

I remember having many problems with Intel EtherExpress cards on OS 5.0.5 and similar vintage Dell servers... needed a few driver updates before they were stable. Worth a look?

Annihilannic.

As you already know, 5.0.5 is really old. As Annihilannic stated, this could be a driver issue. I think I actually had better luck with the Intel cards than I did with others, but it seemed to be "environment-dependent". Some environments were happier with a 3COM, for instance.

This is often caused by an external device causing traffic that the SCO system just can't handle. You can sometimes regain connectivity just by unplugging the CAT-5 cable and reconnecting.

Which card are you using? The odd thing about your initial entry is that you had the same problem on different hardware.

If you can jump onto the console and telnet to "localhost", then you are really looking at a network card/driver issue. You wouldn't be able to telnet to "localhost" without multi-user mode and inetd.

Have there been any changes to the infrastructure which coincide with the onset of these problems? A new switch, router, etc.?

"Proof that there is intelligent life in Oregon. Well, Life anyway.

What patches are installed? There are a ton for 5.0.5 that touch on network services like telnet. If this is a recent problem, then what has changed on the network? could the NIC be failing?

----------------------------------------------------------------
Pat Welch, UBB Computer Services, a WCS Affiliate
SCO Authorized Partner
Microlite BackupEdge Certified Reseller
Unix/Linux/Windows/Hardware Sales/Support
(209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
E-mail: patubb@inreach.com

Hi, I am having the same issue. I am not very fluent with SCO/Unix systems and commands so please try to over-explain and provide as much detail as possible.

The funny thing with my situation is that I only have a couple users that connect to the Unix box and the terminal emulation program we use (Van Dyke systems CRT version 3.0) worked fantastic on both machines for almost ten years (WinXP recently), but it started out as a dropped connection maybe once or twice a week about 1/1/2 yrs ago, but it seems that after a couple of other Windows users got hit with malware, we started having these dropped connections. We also upgraded our phone system to an IP based system (about three years ago?) and the voicemail server sits on our network as well. The number of dropped connections got worse and over the past 6 months, BOTH machines (one was upgraded to Windows Vista) are now getting dropped connections. Van Dyke systems thinks the SCO box is dropping the connection (actually confirmed via a trace log we did). I feel that there may be a rogue NIC or shorted cable on the network because my Mac can connect using their terminal program (I believe it uses RLogin instead of Telnet) and seems to temporarily slow down or freeze instead of dropping the connection like the Windows users, and I noticed that my Mac's terminal program slowed down a lot when the switch's activity lights were most active but it did not drop the connection. Maybe I just have more users on the internet and sending emails than I did years ago? I have tried new switches, a new motherboard with integrated NIC on the SCO Unix box, new AntiVirus software, going from wired connections to wireless and then back to wired, and today I tried Van Dyke's latest CRT terminal emulation program. Nothing helps! PLEASE help me!

Mark.

I telnet to it I only stay connected for some time and then connection is lost....

I had the same problem because my license expired. Check the license?

Good grief. Please start new SEPARATE threads, markc1000 and tranbo. And tell us the SCO version and what patches are installed.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Pat Welch, UBB Computer Services, a WCS Affiliate
SCO Authorized Partner
Microlite BackupEdge Certified Reseller
Unix/Linux/Windows/Hardware Sales/Support
(209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
E-mail: patubb@inreach.com

Just a simple note here. I have experienced the same issue with connections from Windows 7 machines. What I found was that the power options in Windows will force those connections to be dropped if the machine is left idle for a period of time. Once we stopped the hibernation and power functions, everything has worked just fine. I have lots of customers running 5.0.5 systems, and this is not a trait or fault of the OS .... It's usually the attaching device that has the issue.

Maybe this will help.

piperent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back