Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connection Isues HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patiwaq

MIS
Dec 12, 2001
US
Win2K / SP3
XPe FR2 SP2
8 server farm

During parts of the day, certain servers stop allowing connections to published applications (even published destops)

I try to connect thru RDP, but not successful. RDP is in the listening state.

I can make a custom ICA connection to a server, then go back to the published application and log in just fine. Rebooting the server also helps. But this is not practical during the day as I have users connected before the problem starts.

I moved the TS license server and re-activated all connection license but that didnt help.

HELP!!!! Pleaseeeeeeeee

On the affected Citrix Server, go to start/run/ and type in tsadmin.

Select your server from the list and then click on the plus sign next to it. Is anything showing in a state of "Down"??

Sorry, I forgot to specify, run the above when the server stops accepting connections.

Not what I expected to hear, honestly. Have you checked the event log for any errors? Are all your services running? Any of them appear to be hung? I have had similar problems but my terminal service was hung. Try going to services and selecting that service. Try restarting it. Does restarting it help? Does it refuse to restart?? Might want to check your IMA service as well.
Does this affect ALL users - or just most?

Also, when this happens, can you telnet to that ip on port 1494? example

telnet 192.168.100.10 1494

This will help us figure out if it's truly connection related or server related, etc.

You may have thought of this - How long have the servers been up? I usually recommend (depending on the number of sessions) rebooting the servers at least one a week. We experienced issues like that as well...

Another thing you should look at is your network architecture. Do you have some of the servers on a separate vlan?

Let me know. Regards, J

When I cant connect I get an
Event ID 1004 The terminal server cannot issue a client license.

Now the basics..
* I have 120 TS Cals (60 still available for issue)
* 120 Citrix connections
* I can ping the TS Server from the ill Citrix box.
* I moved the TS server to a new box, re-activated both server and licenses thru the clearing house
* My client environment is 95/98/2000/XP, I could possibly see issues with 95 and 98, however I cant even connect with my 2000 or XP box and the TS cals are included.
* Ive deleted the TS license key and even changed the ClientHWID in the registry to reflect a new TS License on both the client and the Citrix server.

This issue only started with Win2K SP 3 (which I un-installed and still didnt fix problem) and FR2.

If I un-install Term Services and re-install..what will that do to Citrix XP?

Your right.. :)

However...I found on Citrix Knowledge base something similar about term service registry key. I have 2 servers in my farm that this issues doesnt effect. So I compared the registry values of
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\TermServices
from good server to bad server and there were a few things missing or a big difference in timeout calls, etc.

I backed up bad server reg string and imported the reg string from good server. Grasping at straws ...I know. Ill know in a few hours if that worked. Will keep you posted. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

I saw that last week...didnt work :(
There was also a roll back of a hotfix on Microsofts site and apply a new fix. That didnt work either.

This is getting deep. If the changes you last made still don't do the trick, I would like you to try something, even on your machine if it's win2k.

Get on a win2k machine and pick a username that you're going to work with that was having this problem on that particular PC. Don't log in as that user just yet. First, log onto that machine as an admin and go into the c:\documents and settings folder. Rename the directory or directories that belong to that user that you picked to work on. (username.bak is my fave) Then, log off of the machine and log in as that user.

(This clears out and defaults a lot of user registry settings.)

Is there still a prob? If so, that at least tells us that this is most likely strictly server related. I was receiving an error 1004, but it was only affecting particular users on term serv - this technique solved my prob.

I know what your thinking...that didnt work either. I have to keep an eye on the user folders due to tmp crap from one of the custom softwares we run. That is usually my 1st step to a fix and that fixes it. But not this time.

So far out of 6 servers with issue, I did the reg import on 5...all 5 are working. The one I didnt fix acted up..I imported that reg file..stopped and started IMA for kicks..and its running. Big issues with connectivity happen around 3:30 pm got about 3 more hrs. :)

Ouch! I wonder why it chose you. I have sp3 on my servers, and although I have had strange issues occur because if it, luckily I haven't had this one... oh boy, I should spit those words out before the evil demons here me and try to work against me ;)

And please write back with anything you try and the results. I'd really love to know how this pans out. I'll let you know if I - or any of my colleagues - think of something.

Yes..I did read that...didnt help.
Here is an update to my situation. I dont think its my TS License at all. Event viewer message must be a false indicator.
When I cant connect to a published application..I look in the ICA connection Center and the remote app is sitting there. I can see the connection packets, however its not connecting.
Then I remote in to the server...kill the IMAsrv (because it wont let me stop it) and restart...the dormant application login prompt then appears and I can get in.

Any clue on a fix??

Question, did you say you were able to telnet to it during those times and get the ICA prompt?

Have you decided whether you think it's connection related or other?

What other clues have we got to go on? hmmm.... You have me worried with this. Don't want to suffer through this problem in the future.

And you were not able to connect using the microsoft remote desktop client. That's a sign that it's affecting terminal services, whatever it is, not just citrix metaframe.

I'll check for your updates - unless you get frustrated and decide to smash your servers when no one is looking.... ;)

I can telnet in and get the ICA response. I also can do the MS remote, and a custom ICA connection. I just cant launch a published application. It looks like it wants to connect, and even shows up in the ICA connection center..however just sits there and not launches.

I have seen similar posts on Citrix about this exact same thing, unfortunately like all tech boards..no follow up posts :( grrrrrrr

I just got a call that my vendor and a Citrix guy will be here at 9am (30 minutes) wooo hooo They are either coming to find a fix or use the big hammer ha ha ha .

I will keep you posted on the outcome :)

Any more info on the issues? I had a similar problem recently, and for me it turned out to be a bad Load-Management setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back