Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connection Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

qsac

Programmer
Jan 22, 2002
US

I can not connect to my SQL Server 2005 at all. I am RDP'ed into the server, to rule out any firewall issues.

I get the following errors:

Using Named Pipes: A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the pre-login handshake. (provider: Shared Memory Provider, error: 0 - No process is on the other end of the pipe.) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 233)

Using TCP/IP: A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the pre-login handshake. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 10054)

I have made sure the server is allowing remote connections in Surface Area configuration Manager. No Encryption is enabled (both client and server). I have tried to connect via SQLCMD, OSQL, DAC, still no luck. I have tried to use, the computer name (not in domain), IP address, ., and 127.0.0.1 with no luck. I was able to telnet to 1433 and it connected. I also looked at sql log, and it looks normal. No IPsec and no Windows Firewall, also no AV.

I am at a loss, any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Steve

Is the CPU spinning out of control? Is the IO maxed out?

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

My Blog

With no errors in the logs and no way to log into the server, a service restart is going to be your best bet.

If you were able to log into the server, I'd say fire up SQL Profiler and see what errors are comming up.

Denny
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)

My Blog

Should have already mentioned that. I rebooted and restarted the service many many times.

This is a weird one, never seen it before.

Does it ever start working?

Can you post the errorlog?

Denny

My Blog

I got this error and i solved it by adding to the connection string, next to the sqlServerName (whatever your instance is named) the port number on which it's supposed to accept connections.

For example: Data Source=SRV\SQLEXPRESS,3000; (here 3000 is the TCP port)

To find your SQL port settings, you can go to SQL server configuration manager, protocols for <SERVERNAME>, and select properties for "TCP/IP" protocol. Then in the IP Addresses tag, you can see the setting for TCP Port.

Hope this helps.

By default named instances use dynamic port numbers which will change time SQL starts up.

If you are not able to find the port numbers automatically make sure that the SQL Browser is started up.

Denny

My Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back