Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connection issue between laptop and home router

Status
Not open for further replies.

ESTAGroup

Technical User
Aug 12, 2004
US
I just swaped out my old harddrive for a new one, reinstalling Win XP and all necessary drivers for my Dell Inspirion 8600. I have a linksys router in my home directly attached to my desktop and my internet modem. I had a small network set up so I could share files between the two computers as well as share the internet connection. Now that I have reinstalled Win XP, I can no longer connect to the router. I never had this problem with my old setup so I'm unsure why am now experiencing issues. The network connection shows that I'm connected tp the router by I can't receice packets from the router but I can sucessfully send them. Why can't I receice packets?

Thanks.

Check the built-in XP Firewall ..... stuffs up wireless (amoung other things) !!!!

<Do I need A Signature or will an X do?>

I turned off the firewall and rebooted. Problem still exists.

I've been reading other posts and is it possible that I have an IP adrress conflict problem? If I do, how can find out? I know that my router address is 192.168.0.1 but how can I find out if my laptop card has the same address? If it has the same address, how do I change it?

Thanks for your help.

I am presuming wireless connection ??

IP = static or DHCP ?
WEP etc ?
User permissions etc ?

wireless yes.

IP=DHCP
WEP yes
I'm the administrator

It shouldn't have an address conflict a DHCP address is being used.
To check IP, go to Start, Run, type "CMD", in the DOS window type ipconfig /all .... this will show the adddress & if it's DHCP too.

I opened a dos prompt and released all IP adderssa nd renewed them. It told me that it could not apply an IP address to my wireless card. I also tried the repairf function under the network connection screen and it told me the same thing. I have software that came with the computer and it tells me that the IP address is different than my router IP.

First, I would try to see if your laptop can talk to your router and the Internet if you plug your laptop directly into the router. This will verify that your PC can talk to the router and get a proper DHCP address. While you have this working, I would download all of the needed Windows Updates from Microsoft. Several have had to do with wireless.

After all of this, I would try your wireless again. Please verify that your WEP key is the same on the router and your Laptop. If they don't match, you will not be able to connect.

I am not sure what software package that came with your computer is telling you that the IP address is different that the router IP, but it might be useful in telling us details like that. Also, if the above does not work, you have indicated that you are running WEP, are both devices set at the same encryption level? Do you have anyother security set up? Are you using MAC authentication on the Wireless?

Dan

I plugged my laptop straight into the router and I connected immediately. I downloaded all the windoes updates as you suggested. I still can't connect. I double-checked the WEP key and that is correct. I can connect and send packets, I just can't receive them. I popped my old hard drive back into my laptop to compare settings and they are the same on my new drive--the encryption level is the same. I disabled all other scuirty (virus protection, spy-ware software, firewall) and that has not solved my problem. The software I'm using is the Intel PROset maintenance software.

Thanks.

Is the driver for your wireless the same in both hard drives?

Are you getting indications that your laptop is connected?

If yes, go to the Run option, type CMD and enter to open a dos prompt. Try typing IPCONFIG /ALL. This command should give us your IP Configuration. Make note of the IP Address for the wireless and the gateway.

Try typing in the dos window, ping 192.168.0.1. Is it able to connect to that?

Dan

I just connected at Starbucks with no problem. I have WEP setup on my router at home. What would the symptoms of me not entering the key correctly on my laptop when I create the profile for connection to my router? I wrote it down when It was created during my router setup but I could have wrote it down incorrectly. How do I validate if this key is correct?

It looks like it's connected, it says I'm connected but I don't receive packets. I'll run the ping test when I get back to my home.

Thanks.

With about 4 hours invested in this tonight I finally figured it out. I opened my router settings and changed my starting IP adderss to 192.168.1.200 rather than 192.168.1.100 (the factory setting). I's using DHCP on my laptop so it should in theory assign it an IP address of 192.168.1.100. But it wasn't. I must have been having a conflict. Everytime I tried to release and renew my IP address, I received a strange IP address like 192.254.X.XXX. Once I changed my next IP adrress range to start from 200, all works perfectly. THanks for all who spent time on this and I shope this can help someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back