Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connection from bad port HELP PLEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

renault5

Technical User
Oct 1, 2001
PL
Hi all ,
I am trying to set up a new Solaris 7 client (sparc)connection to my NT 4 SP6 Legato Networker server , the message that appears in the /var/adm/messages log everytime the Legato Networker server tries to connect to start a backup is
'Connection from bad port'.
On the server side the backup job eventually aborts with a 'timeout due to inactivity' , I have set the inactivity timeout to 0 but still get the problem.
Both client and server can ping and rpcinfo each other with both short and long names (FQDN).
This problem is driving me crazy , I am sure it has a very simple solution - something I have overlooked perhaps.

Many thanks in advance

Renault5

I really have no idea what the problem is, but you can try:

1. Making sure that the nic's and switch ports to which they are attached on both systems are not set to autodetect connection speed. Specify the speeds.

2. Raise the session timeout from the default of 30 seconds to something else. I use 120 at least on all backups, more if it is a large volume.

Hope this helps, but it may not.

Hi again ,
thanks for the suggestions.
Tonyletigre - yes the client is defined in nwadmin on the server , everything appears to be fine on the server - you can manage the clients happily etc..

There is another possibilty that I am working on - there is a firewall between the backup server LAN and the client's LAN that may be doing some strange translations with the IP address - I will report back when I find out.

Regards

Renault5

Hi all ,
problem solved (after nearly all my hair falling out!) . For future reference it turns out that the firewall had been translating the IP address of the server on initial handshaking , a rule had to be added to translate the backup server's address into an unused address on the client's network , the /etc/hosts file then needed to be changed so that the entry for the backup server was resolved to this new (client LAN) address , the machines now connect happily , I wish them many happy years together.

Thanks

Renault5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back