Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connection failing

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybarty

Technical User
May 3, 2002
CA
I have had the admin console working on my system for a while now and it is has now stopped. Admin console is working on other systems OK. i have removed it and re-added it and it is still not working - says connection failed. I have checked the settings that are mentioned in other posts and they all check out. If I try to add another connection in the console it says the server cannot be contacted right away like it is not even attempting to connect. On the systems where it is working they are able to add another connection with no problem. Any suggestions on what to try? After the removal I deleted the Windows\ms\sms folder to get rid of any leftover files but it still doesn't work.

The SMS-AdminConsole leaves traces in the registry ;)
somewhere under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\NAL

Best thing would be to delete this key - along with HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SMS

But only if your machine is NOT a valid SMS-Client !

Cheers,
Chris

My system is an SMS client. Should I remove my client and then delete these keys? Thanks

No !

In this case just delete the value for the following regkey:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SMS\AdminUI\Connection\Server

Hope this helps you !

Cheers,
Chris

I deleted the server entry and still the connection failed. Rebooted, tried again and it failed. Removed SMS admin tools, checked the connection entry was still blank, rebooted and re-installed SMS tools and still the connection is failing. Anything I've missed?

Sounds like a rights issue to me. From where are you trying to connect to the SMS site database? has this account been add into the appropriate groups in the SMS Admin Console on the site server? There are security rights you can define within the SMS Admin console which might be preventing access but I tend to think it might be a group issue.

I would need more details.

-Matt

I don't believe it's a problem with the group I am in. I have had access to the admin console from this machine for the last year without any problems and no group memberships
have changed. I am a member of Domain Admin group that is a member of the SMSadmin group. One thing I do notice is that if I try to connect to another server in the console by connecting to another site database if I type in the server name I get a message server can't be found. If I try to browse to the server I don't see my site server in the list and can't see all the computers in my domain. Doing a net view shows the same limited number of systems. I thought this was the problem, a browsing problem, but when I checked the systems of the people who's admin console is working they are not seeing all the computers either.

As far as I know the connection is build up via WMI.
have you verified that the WMI is working properly on that specific machine ?

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back