Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connection Error 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

logo

Programmer
Aug 22, 2001
US
I am trying to connect to a mySQL db via Visual Basic. However, I receive this error:

(TCX)(MyODBCTest)Host '(my server)' is not allowed to connect to this mySQL server

I can connect to the mySQL server just fine if I access it directly via the web.

Any ideas as to what could cause this error?

Can you explain what you mean by 'directly via the web'? If you mean using something like ASP or PHP, this is likely to be running on the same server as your database, so the database connection is actually being made to and from the same machine (before the script output is sent to the client by the web server). However, a visual basic app running on a client will require a connection between two machines - which means MySQL will assess priveleges differently.

You can test the database connection from client to server directly using the
Code:
mysql
console that ships with the main MySQL distribution. If you get the same error there, then it's a question of manipulating the privelege tables in the
Code:
mysql
database. If you don't get an error there, then there's a bug in your vb or ODBC setup.

Hope this helps
-Rob

Thanks....I am new to mySQL and am trying to create a connection using ADO. I'm sure that I am entering all of the connection info correctly, but I keep receiving the error I mentioned above.

Do you know of any good mySQL resources that you could point me to.

Thanks.
-Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back