Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connection Error to Citrix Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

clubleo

MIS
Oct 5, 2002
US
I have a metaframe 1.8 and I just built a metaframe XP 1.0 with feature release 2. I published Outlook, Explorer and a database application on the XP server. On some computers, I'm getting a 'Error in connection. The Citrix server is not available' error. It's happening on some pc's and not on others. I'm not having this problem with the application I'm running on the 1.8 server. Any ideas? I'm really getting frustrated with Citrix and their non-explanatory knowledge base.

I've had the problem also before. Some users often got a Citrix server not available when using a database app. After a lot of troubleshooting we found that the database server had a lousy network adapter. Due to this, the application on the citrixserver which requested data from the databaseserver timed out and then crashed, often followed by a Citrix server not available message.
When we replaced the nic, it was gone.

Best way to test:

1. try to install the application on a local desktop and see if they also have connection problems if using the application (often different messages appear). If it also looses contact with the database, than it can be possible that the application is not tuned to work on Metaframe XP.
2. Try to figure out what the persons were doing in the application (esp in which module).
3. check if your database server has enough resources to handle the requests.

Hope it gives you some clues...

A lousy network adapter might not be the case since I have the same problem. At some location, the connection goes down around 10 times a day. But at some other location, the connection never goes down. Also, I have multiple servers accepting the ICA connections. Any idea?

Hi Guy's, what protocol are you using to connect to the servers. For our organization, it was an issue only using TCP/IP, we have changed it to TCP/IP + HTTP, this took care of our connection issue.

Try a couple of problem users and see if this solves your issue.

Stox

We have seen the same problem. Currently on Citrix 1.8 - nt terminsal services with load balancing. Have a total of 35 users with 2 compaq dl380's, 800 mhz, 1gb ram.

I've noticed this on windows 2000 professional computers. Today the client wasn't even using the distributed and when she came back from lunch it had disconnected giving her that she couldn't connect and that the network may not be functional. She cc'd tons of people that made me look bad!

What's the fix?

In the server location are you doing auto-select or entering the actual IP address for the Citrix server? Some of our WAN users have this problem unless we add the actual IP address.

I have had this type of thing happen to me with the TCP/IP + HTTP, and also the network card is good. I have just accepted that this will happen with Citrix without explanation. I've also had it happen on several occasions that the Citrix connection will completely disappear from a laptop. The ICA client is still there, but the connection I set up will suddenly disappear, even after a year of working correctly.

I look forward to reading more suggestions. I am willing to try anything.

Yes, I have the server's ip addresses in there. It's random how it happens.

We were experiencing similar problems with our Exchange server timing out in Citrix. One resolve for the time outs was to adjust the provider order setting for the network connection on the W2k workstations. This can be found on the Advanced option on the menu bar for the connection and choosing Advanced Settings>Provider Order. Move the protocol order as necessary and you should find a little better response times and less time outs.

Hope this helps

Check out this doc CTX163602 - it works for NT/2000 as well. I found that I had to delete the whole 'store' key sometimes to get it to work.

We run NetWare client on the workstations as well as Microsoft Windows Network and Terminal Services. We've arranged them in priority order of (from top down) MS Windows Network, MS Terminal Services and lastly Netware. By changing the order our timeout issues did get resolved in Citrix, but remember that this was a specific issue with Exchange.

Here is something to try that has worked many times in our case.

Open regedit
Browse to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\MSLicensing.
Delete the entire MSLicensing key

HTH

Hi,

One further issue with dledeaux solution is that if you open RegEdt32 (need to be logged in as Admin) and check the security permissions on that key, Domain Users/Local Users DON'T have enough security permissions, give Users Change permissions to that and all sub keys.

Do the above on your clone or on every PC you roll out and then you won't have this issue with every client. Users will then have enough permissions to replace the Temp License with a full one.

It's a bug!

Cheers,
Carl.

How are they accessing the published app? The full client the PNAgent or NFuse? I had this problem when accessing from the PNAgent or NFuse gateway, but I could launch the app from the client. It turned out that the XML port was listed as shared with IIS, I changed it to port 443 and fixed the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back