Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connection dropped between modem and router

Status
Not open for further replies.

hakmed

Programmer
Feb 10, 2005
US
Hello,

I am currently running the Linksys BEMCMU10 modem and the Linksys BEFSR81 router w/ 8-port switch. For a couple months it was running just fine. Now probably about every 1 or 2 weeks, the router can't pick up the IP address that the modem is broadcasting. I have to power down the router in order to get things working again. Has anybody ran into this problem?

hakmed

Did you change anything since it was running fine, like location or ethernet cable?

What kind of broadband connection do you have?

~cdogg
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Nothing has changed. Working fine since June and it started happening about 1 month ago. I connected more computers to the router (and XP and Gentoo box). Would that cause it?

hakmed,

I have the same problem. My router is not communicating with my modem. Two things have changed since I niticed the problem. The PC which my ISP and modem was initially installed has been changed to a wireless NIC. Also someone in my apt building also has a wireless network. I often see their network, but NOT my own.

Well, I've updated the firmware on my router. So far everything seems to be good. I guess try updating the firmware on all of your networking devices between you and your internet connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back