Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting Windows 2000 Professional to an NT network 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazqn

Technical User
May 8, 2000
US
Needed to find out how to connect Windows 2000 an NT network. I understood that it was necessary to have a Windows 2000 server, which I have no plans of doing as of now (I do not know if this is correct or not).

Also any tips on sharing DSL connection would be appreciated.

jazqn,

It is not necessary to have a Win2K server for a Win2K Pro workstation. I have set up Win2K workstations on NT 4 networks professionally and in my home. I'll use my home network as an example. I have a server running NT 4.0 and my primary workstation is Win2K Pro. On the server side, you simply set up as you would for any new computer being added to the domain (I'm assuming you have a domain, if not then for a workgroup). On the workstation side, of course the proper protocol(s) must be configured to match whatever your network's settings are. Then you need to access the network identification settings to give the computer a name and specify a domain or workgroup to join. You can access the Net ID settings from the System applet in control panel or by right-clicking "My Computer" and selecting properties. From the Network Identification tab, you can use either properties or the network identification wizard to join a domain or workgroup.

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back