Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting windows 2000 pro to domain server 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

offroadn

IS-IT--Management
Jul 15, 2003
US
Your computer could not be joined to the domain because the following error has occured. The credentials supplied conflict with an existing set of credentials

were you trying to name the computer the same name as another computer that is already set up on your network?

what user are you using that has permission to join the computer to the domain?

try creating another user in your directory, put it in the admin group and then try to ue that one to join domain.

This is the only computer wih this name on the network.
the user as administrator rights
I can login as administrator and it works fine
when I login as user they can not make any changes, while as user I verified that the user has administrator rights

Explain in detail exactly what you're doing.

The conflicting credentials error normally implies that you're already connected to the domain as another user.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

I am adding a windows 2000 pro system to a 2000 SB server. On the server the user "user7" is an administrator. On the work station if login as user7 which has administrator rights on both workstation and server they can not make any changes. when I go to verify the domain connection I right click on my computer and go to properties. then I click on network identification tab. Then to network id and go through the steps "as user7" and I get the message your computer could not be joined to the domain because of the following error has occured. The credentials supplied conflict with an existing set of credentials. The only open is to exit. Any idea why I'm being blocked
Thanks

I have had this problem before when there are existing mapped drives to network resources.

Disconnect all maps and try again. Easiest way is go to a command prompt and run "net use * /delete"

Thanks I appricate it I'll give it a try

I dont see how an existing mapped network drive would make such a error. It seems you dont even have this machine logged into the domain. I m guessing you need to assign the "user7" account with domain admin privelage, Add the local machine admin group to this account. Once you give admin rights of the local machine to "user7" try repeating the steps you could not before. Let me know if this helped.

If all this doesnt work delete the entry for the computer in the domain (if youre running AD then delete it from there), wait a few minutes and then try reconnecting the desktop....

If you're connected to a domain resource from a machine (eg, a mapped drive) using the same domain username/password as you are using to join machine to the domain, you will get the error noted. So advice to remove all maps is a good one (personally I'd reboot machine as well).

I assume that the PC is not part of any domain at present, and therefore on a workgroup (normally OEMWORKGROUP).
Log onto the machine as THAT machines local admin account, that was setup when 1st installed, then add it to the domain using the administrators account and password of the domain controller. Also check there is no other PC of that name anywhere in A/D or users and computers. If there is delete it or try another name for yours.
Hope this helps

keif is right, make sure your even on domain
check your DNS settings
-ping your IP's

I've seen the (completely irrelevant)duplicate computer name / credentials error as a result of firewall software.
Also,if machines have been set up with a disk cloning system like Norton Ghost, the machine ID'd can get screwed up.

not sure if this will help or if you've already tried it but I had a similar problem and it was because I was entering the local admin details (administrator/password).

When you go into My Computer Properties - Network Identification - Properties, you enter the domain you want to join and click ok a new box will appear to prompt you to enter the user name and password.

Here you should enter the domain controler name then the admin name and password for the domain controller.

e.g. servername\administrator
password

ok

When I had problems it was because I wasn't entering the server name so it was trying to authenticate from the local account.

Tezdread
"With every solution comes a new problem"

I found the answer from MitchCumstein to solve my problem, which was the same as the original post. I never saw an answer from the original post if this solution worked for him.

My problem was that the mapped drive was being authenticated for access through the domain, but the workstation was not a memeber of the domain yet, that is why we were making the changes.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back