Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting Win98 with Win2k in a workgroup, Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alejo20

IS-IT--Management
Jan 31, 2003
US
I am trying to connect two win98 machines to other win2k machines i have some folders and printers i want to share but i cant browse my network with the win98 machines. is there anything special i gotta do to the win98 machines so i can do this? any help will be greatly appreciated.

Provide more information....

What cabling are you using?
Are you using a hub or router?
What protocol are you using?
DHCP?
Static IP addresses?

Are you using win2k PRO or SERVER?

All of these answers will enable us to give you suggestions.
Kimber

The more I learn,I realize how much more there is to know!

i have a 2k server ,some 2k pro machines and 2 win98 , i have a DSL/router doing DHCP and am using a cisco switch.

how are you logging the 2 win98 machines on, not sure if this will fix yours or not but run into a situtation where you have to add the user accounts to the win2k server with correct permissions and then make sure that you log the 98 systems onto the network with proper username/password befor they can access the win2k enviroment

I am having a similar problem and would appreciate any information. I set up a new network with W2K Server on the server. There are two W2k machines connected (with no problems). I am now attempting to connect a Win 98 machine to the network.

The network is a server-client model, CAT 5 wiring, has two switches (no routers), and beyond that I'm not sure what else. Everything is from Dell, so the connections all took place automatically with the new machines after I plugged everything in to the network.

It is the Win 98 machine which I can't seem to connect. The network card was factory installed and is a combo card. The Win 98 machine is currently on a peer-to-peer network with thin co-axial cable. I'm now trying to connect it as a client to the Win 2k server.

Any help would be appreciated.

Yep, having trouble here also.

My 3 boxes talk fine (w2k pro). When I boot one of them into w98 it picks up its DHCP address but the gateway cant ping it and it cant see the rest of the workgroup.

I can find it if I search for computers on a w2k box but cant explore it thereafter. Spooky!!

Hopin for ideas

Cheers
B-)
Brian, CCSE
brian@domain-integrity.com

What are you using for a protocol, DHCP? Try adding NetBIOS to the Win98 systems only, then they may see each other. Why this works I have no idea, but today will be my last day with a Win98 system, the rest are XP and 2k. Tired of the peek-a-boo network of Win98SE. The test continues...

In a workgroup situation, you need account(s) on the 2k machines which correspond to the logon credentials (user name/password) used to logon the 98 machines. Or you need to enable the guest account on 2k machine(s) - but this is a security risk if network is connected to the internet.

If you have a domain, you should change 98 machines network properties (client for microsoft networks properties), so they log onto domain. In this case you will need a domain account to log the 98 machines on.

I think Wolluf hit it.
Make sure you are LOGGING ON to the DOMAIN you are set up on, and not to the computer itself or the default workgroup.

If you have accounts for the 98 machines there should be no problems.
I have 2K Advanced Server and 98s log in no problem every time. Kimber

The more I learn,I realize how much more there is to know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back