Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

connecting webcamera using router

Status
Not open for further replies.

ani77

Programmer
Oct 4, 2002
IN
Hello,

I have a wireless web camera connected to my pc. The pc acts as a webserver and runs Apache.
I connect the PC to the Internet thro a Dial-up modem.
I get a dynamic IP say 202.55.142.55
I want online people to access my web camera which has a local IP 192.28.0.99
I am able to access my Pc on the web but not my camera since it has a local IP
Can a router solve my problem?
If yes, then what settings should I be doing ?

Please help.

ani77

You are going to need to use something like dynamic DNS to keep your IP address known to the Internet (so people can access the webcam). A router could do what you are looking for with ACL's and NAT statements

"For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat and wrong" -- H.L. Mencken

Hello,

I am using a Dynamic Dns service to keep my IP address known to the Internet. but thro that they can only access my PC which get a remote IP say 202.71.138.18
my problem is how to access then my webcam.
Somehow the remote IP should be replaced with the local IP of the webcam which is 192.168.0.99

This translation I presume a router can handle.

ani77

Depending on the type of router you could forward port 80 traffic to that webcam. So say that your domain is mydomain.com , you would access the cam as mydomain.com:80

I have a simliar setup.

I have set my Netgear ADSL router to forward any incoming http requests to port 4 on the router, which is where my webcam is connected to.

My router registers with dynamic dns so whenever anyone access they get to see what my web cam sees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back