Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting web server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mossc001

Technical User
Dec 22, 2004
GB
I want to connect my server to my existing router along with the 3 normal office computers, although the server will be a web server. Rather than using DMZ I will just use port forwarding. As one of the computers on the network is accessible from outside the LAN does this pose a threat to the other computers in the network?

So basically would it be advisible to connect my server to the firewall router and use port forwarding, then connect a VPN/Firewall switch to the router (where the server is connected) and connect the office computers to this?

Any help would be much appriciated!

I don't like dmz, because it sometimes opens more than just the one port.. if you have a small lan, just get 2 routers, plug the 2nd one in as if it were a host on the first router, and then put the 3 users inside the innermost router.. if the web server is compromised, it will still be outside the firewall from the desktops

Thanks silverspecv, that just confirms my thoughts now. Just have to invest in another firewall which shouldn't be too much. I just thought I'd ask incase I was wasting money but I didn't want to risk my 64bit Athlon being wrecked by some hacker.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back