Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting USB or PS/2 mouse to serial DB9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cursor

ISP
Mar 21, 1999
US
I want to connect an optical mouse to my PC running Windows 98. PC only has 9 pin serial connector for mouse. I've previously used a PS/2 to DB9 adaptor. What I want o do is connect an optical mouse with a USB cable that also has a PS/2 adapter. When I connect it, the PC says a mouse device was not found. Are there optical mice with DB9 cables or is there a way to adapt USB to DB9?

Thanks,
Ben

Sorry to tell you but it most likely will not work.

Most PS/2 mice won't even adapt properly to the serial port. Out of 100's of people that buy those adapters, I have maybe seen 10 or 20 that told me it worked. The mouse has to specifically support both ports to work this way-throw the USB into it, and you have a big mess that will not likely work.

My understanding of it is an issue a pin supplying power not being available through the serial port. Best suggestion is to find another solution or settle for a serial mouse.

HI.

I have got an USB optical mouse.
There is an USB-to-PS2 adapter which worked pretty good with this Crystal Leadership Optical Mouse.

There is also a PS2-to-Serial COM (DB9), but it has never worked out (as our firend mudskipper had said).

Conclusion: you will probably succeed using the PS2 port only.

PS: Or, perhaps, buy an PCI-to-USB Card.

I have seen USB to PS2 port adapters but not for serial ports. As for the PS2-DB9 adapters, they have never worked for me except on Logitec mice. Every Logitec mouse I have tried it on worked.

USB is the way of the future. Your best bet is to install a USB card and then use a USB optical mouse. Alternatively your motherboard may have PS-2 support that was not brought out to a connector on the back of your computer. Check the manual for your mobo to see if this is the case. If ignorance is bliss then stupidity is an asset not a liability.

Thanks to all for your responses. I contacted the PC manufacturer (Polywell) and they say they have a PS/2 mouse that they say will work with DB9. So, I'll try that. I think the best way to go is to add a USB card to my PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back