Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting two procurve 4000M's

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbg34

IS-IT--Management
Nov 2, 2000
US
I am trying to add on to my network by adding a second procurve 4000M. Unfortunately I cannot connect pc's on the second switch to the main network. If I use a small 3com hub everything works fine, but the switch will not work. In searches on google I have found references to Spanning trees and Link aggregation. I haven't found any specific info on how to configure these and the 4000's manual hasn't helped.

Try using a reversing Patch.

because switch- switch are similiar devices one has to use md-I while the other should be md-X.

I had a similar problem and had to upgrade the firmware to resolve. What revision of firmware are you running?

Hi,

OK,
1- Disable Spanning tree on both switches
2- For a simple link just run a single crossover cable between the switches (Port A1 on switch A to Port A1 on switch b)
3- If you want more bandwidth between the switches either add another Crossover cable (Port A1&A2 on switch A to Port A1&A2 on switch b)
and enable port trunking on these ports, or buy 2 gigabit modules and use this to link the switches (Costly!)

Cheers,

Russky

You don't mention what troubleshooting you've done (for example, are the Link LEDs lighting up on the switch port that is connected to the PCs?), so I don't know what problem you are having. Others have made good suggestions regarding using a cross-over cable.

You mentioned that the 4000 manual doens't specify how to attach PCs. Regarding cabling, see the manual "HP ProCurve Switch 4000M and 8000M Installation Guide, chapter "Troubleshooting", section "Testing Twisted-Pair Cabling", the Note "The switch UTP ports are all wired MDI-X...". Also, the material earlier in the Troubleshooting chapter will help you interpret the LEDs and verify whether you have an Ethernet Link issue, or a higher-level issue such as network loops.

Good luck,
Ralph

hi,
can anybody help me , how do u span vlans between HP procurve switch and cisco 2924xl switch, somebody said it can be done by using dot1.q trunking, but i din't get that.

can anybody explain me with deatils

narsimha

Hi Narsimha -

You could connect the ProCurve switch and the Cisco switch using a single cable, and assign the port that the cable is plugged into to all of the VLANs.

The documentation for the ProCurve side of this is on page 6-51 of the Management and Configuration Guide (see: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/59692320.pdf).

Regards,
Ralph

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back