Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting two PC's using Crossover cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaner66

Technical User
Aug 4, 2003
CA
Alright, both PC's have XP, both have NIC's and I will have them connected via a crossover cable.

I am not interested in sharing an internet connection, although I may be at a later date.

What I want to do is transfer many large files from one PC to the other.

Once I have the two PC's connected, how can I set it up so that I can just drag and drop, rather than using the files and settings transfer wizard, or is that even possible?

I know nil about networking, however I do learn quickly, so help me out, thanks.

Well in order to use the Crossover cable you will have to do a kind of little network. The same workgroup name, "which you can leave default". You will have to share the HARD DRIVES. And I would give a static IP address of 192.168.1.5 to one computer and 192.168.1.6 to the other computer. Ping one from the other to make sure they can talk. Go into Network Places and go to the Shared hard drive of the computer with the files to move. Select them and either Copy or Cut, which ever you are trying to do and then find the location on the destination computer that they are going to and paste.

ME
P.S. You may have to run the network wizard. XP is weird like that. Sometimes it won't work right with a network unless you run the stupid wizard.

How do I give the computers a static IP?

I know nothing about networking, so step by step instructions would be great!

Nevermind, I figured it out, thanks!!

If you have trouble getting connected, make sure you can ping. Go to start run and type in cmd. Then type in ping 192.168.1.?? The number of the computer you are trying to ping in place of the ?

Yep, I can ping and browse the other computer, thanks a lot for your help, it's appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back