Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting two PCs through RJ45 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravi2

Technical User
Aug 13, 2001
US
Hi

I Have two computers, both have the NIC's for RJ-45 in them, both are running on Windows 2000 Server. I hooked a Cat 5 cable (Crossover) between the two. Configured PC1 to 192.168.1.1, subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and pc2 to 192.168.1.2, subnet mask 255.255.255.0. Able to Ping. What else do I need to configure to be able to share files/drives and internet between both PCs.??

Make sure that in the IP setting, theres nothing else set, all you need is the IP and SN Mask. After that... Just goto 'Run' and type:

\\NameOfComputer\c$

Enter the other computers Admin Name/Password, and you'll have access to their hard drive.

-Barry

Where do i set the said IP and SN Mask. Do I need to share drive/folder? How do i do that i Windows 2K server.

I'll appreciate if you can give me step by step configuration in detail. Thanks a lot.

On each computer...
Put the E.Card in each PC and connect them together via cross-over cable.

Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Network and Dial up connections.

A window will pop up with an Icon of 2 computers which represents your Ethernet card. Right click that and hit properties.

Double click on 'Internet protocol(TCP/IP)'

Select the radio button 'Use the following IP address'

To make things simple,
on PC1- use the IP: 10.0.0.2
on PC2- use the IP: 10.0.0.3
And on BOTH give the SN Mask: 255.255.255.192
Hit Ok, then Ok again.

Now you dont need to share anything...
Just goto Start->Run
And type in: \\<name of computer>\c$
Obviously, replace <name of computer> with the actual name given to the computer (which can be found by right clicking 'my computer,' going to properties and hitting the Network Identification tab).

It will prompt you for a name and password, just put in 'Administrator' for the name, and then the computer's admin password.

-Barry

Hi,

Thanks, can you please tell where do i set the IP and SN mask? Do I need to share Drive/Folder. How do i share the internet connection between two pcs.

I'll appreciate if you can provide step by step configuration.

Thanks again

That was great Barry.

I am able to share Drives/Folders. Thanks a LOT!!

Is there a way round to share the internet connection on second PC. I am connected through dialup (using compuserve)on first machine.

This would be a great help.

** How do I vote for your help.. ** This is great help.

ravi

Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Network and Dial up connections.

A window will pop up with an Icon of 2 computers which represents your Ethernet card. Right click that and hit properties.

Double click on 'Internet protocol(TCP/IP)'

Select the radio button 'Use the following IP address' and put in your IP address and SN mask in there!! Give it a try, it works.

If you reeeally want to share, then goto 'My Computer' on each PC, right click on the C Drive (or whatever drive you wish to share) then select 'Share this Folder.'

Once its shared, just goto Start->Run and put in \\<computer name> and get into the shared folders.

I cant get any more clear than that!

-Barry

Amazing.
This has been a great help. Just nee some tips on how to share internet connnection between two pcs.

Thankyou.
You have been an excellent help.

To share the internet connection... (I never did this with Dial up, hope this works):

On the PC with the modem:
goto start->settings->control panel->network and dialup connections

The icon representing your dial up connection should be in there. Right click it and hit properties... Once inside, there should be 2 tabs. Click on the Sharing tab. Enable sharing and hit OK to the message it gives, then OK your way back to the Network and Dialup Connections folder.
Now go BACK to the Icon representing the ethernet card (do this on both computers). Right click -> Properties. Double click TCP/IP and then select the radio button 'obtain an IP address automatically.' Keep hitting OK till yer out of the config windows.
Windows will process for a while, then when its all done, you've got the internet on both machines.

Again, I've never tried this on a modem connection, so please tell me if it works.

-Barry

Great Sir,

That was excellent. But I dont see any Icon for my dialup connection. My AO/Compuserve does it by itself ( I don't know how it automatically dials). In this case is there any other way round.

Thanks for your support

ravi

Ack! I'm not so sure. I suggest you search the web for proxy software which can share an internet connection. Sorry I cant help beyond that, but thats what you'll have to do.

-Barry

well ravi
get hold of analogx proxy
just download it and install it on the comp
in which u have the modem and run it it will appear inur taskbar
now goto the other pc
and open internet explorer
goto tools->intenet options->connections->lan settings->
check on use a proxy and give the address 192.168.1.1
and the port as 6588
thats it u should now be able to browse
Kapil Technical Director
Infovalley Interwebspiders Pvt. Ltd.
Microsoft Certified System Engineer
visit
If u find the information provided here useful to u then let me know by clicking on the link below s-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back