Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting two computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ambatim

Programmer
Feb 28, 2002
IN
I have two computers. I am sharing broadband internet through a router, between these two computers. Can I connect these two computers using the router I have, for data transfer ?

Thanks in advance
Mallik

What version of software are you using? If you are using XP on both, then you can run the network wizard on both and set up sharing.

One is having XP SP2 and the other is having Win 2000

Thanks in advance
Mallik

On the Win2000 computer, go to my computer; right click on the C: drive; go into sharing and give your C: drive a share name, such as Win2k C drive, and allow sharing on it. Say apply and then exit all the way back to the desktop. Now, right click on my computer and go into properties. Click on Network identification and then click on properties. Type in "Home" for the name of the workgroup and then click apply, and exit and reboot. What you are doing is setting up a network on your Win2k computer first. After, you have it all set up then you will want to walk thru the network wizard on the XP machine. When you get to the point of naming the network, be sure to make it "Home" and that you wish to set up sharing. Don't bother with a network diskette. Once you have it all set up, reboot the PC and then go into Neighborhood network. If everything went good, you should be able to see the C: drive on the Win2k PC. Good Luck - Cathy

Thanks Cathy...It worked

Thanks in advance
Mallik

Hi there,

I am in a similar boat to Ambatim on this however there is one aditional complication. At home I have desktop with WinXP connected to a Belkin wireless 802.11g router via a USB network adapter and from work a Win2K laptop connected using a notebook network card.

My issue is on my laptop my computer name 'worklaptop' is a member of a domain i.e. mywork.domain.com and workgroup is empty. As this is a work machine I do not have Admin priveleges on the machine but would still like to share it at home for networking, can I just enter the workgroup as described in the previous post ?

Thanks in advance,
Mully

Pantlord,
No. If you enter the workgroup, you will wipe out your domain connnection that you need at work.

Cathy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back