Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting Two computers together, using NICs, RJ-45, and Win98

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark01

Technical User
Jan 17, 2001
US
I Have two computers, both have the NIC's for RJ-45 in them, both have Win98. I hooked a Cat 5 cable (Crossover) between the two, but they wont communicate. I get there IP address, and ping from the other computer and it wont talk. I hooked up TCP/IP, Client For Microsoft Networks and File/Print Sharing. What am I doing wrong?

Just check what log on you have in primary network logon ?
it should be clent for microsoft network. This are just in case.

Also check in wins configuration. some time it happens that
USE DHCP for wins resolution gets enabled.

Also check for IP conflict/ address conflict in each PC i.e. n/w card is installed properly ?

cross cable pinouts are

1 -- 3
2 -- 6
3 -- 1
4 -- 4
5 -- 5
6 -- 2
7 -- 7
8 -- 8

hope this may be of some help to u.

hello,

i've got the feeling that your problem lies on the
driver fo your NIC. check it on the device manager
of your my computer icon in your desktop. the NIC
driver should not have a "!" sign, otherwise you
have to reinstall the driver by choosing its property
and updating the driver..

good luck!

blue

I have two computers both with NICs one running Win 98
and the other running Win NT 4.0. I have a CAT5 RJ45 ethernet cable, Does it have to be twisted? if so how can I do it myself?

If you are not running a hub you will need a cross over cable. The cable does not need to be twisted pair, although it really should be for better shielding. As I stated you need a crossover cable. Look through the responces above on how to make one. Or purchase a premade cable. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Check if you have the correct MAC address for your card,
(on the disk that belongs to the network card, you shall find a program that you can use to see the settings of your card (and the MAC address of your card).

Then check Network -> [properties for your card] -> Advanced -> Network Address

Make sure you have the right MAC address in the value field (and that the field is Available)

Hope this can help you. (This was the fault for me).

I didn't read all of the responses, but:
1. you either need a hub, or a crossover cable to connect two together using rj45. If you don't have either, then it will never work since both computers are transmitting on the same wire and listening on another wire which is the same. you need the hub to translate, or a crossover cable to swap xmit on one to rcv on the other and vice versa.

Hello All.

I decided to get a second computer (1.8 Gigz, 512Mb...), ANYWAY...I stumbled onto this discussion by way of
having a very similar problem:

Initially I could not ping the second computer, but could ping loopback and the ip address that I had manually selected (on both systems)...Well, to make a short story long, thanks to this thread (especially suggestion to use winipcfg) I switched to another rj45 cable and voila!
The cable I initially used was also crossover, so I don't know why it chose not to work...Anyway, if you're still having problems, it can't hurt (more than a few $$) to try another rj45 crossover cable.

Regards.
Mayniac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back