Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting two Cisco 2950 Switches 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kippy13

IS-IT--Management
Aug 19, 2002
IE
Hi all,
I think this is the most apt forum but if there is a better one please let me know.
I currently have two classrooms. One has a 2950 switch in it where machines in that room are connected. This 2950 switch is connected to another switch back in the comms room on port 24, connectivity is fine on this switch.
I have set up second class room and put another 2950 switch into it. I'd like to connect both new 2950 switch to the one in the other classroom and have ran cabling to do this.
However when I connect both switches I have no link light on the ports I've connected (with straightthrough and crossover cable).
There are no vlans configured and as far as I am aware no extra config was done on the "working" 2950.
To add, I've also tried this with a 2900 - (existing)2950 switch with the same results
A few querys.
I assume a crossover cable is the way to go for this type of connection?
Are there any "default" uplink ports on these switches that I should be connecting?
Do I need to access either switch to perform some extra config?
Anyone have any ideas or theories as to what I am doing wrong?
I've verified that the cable I am using to connect the switches is wired correctly.

Any help appreciated.

The cabole should be a cross over.
The cable length should be 100 meters or less (328 feet).
Chenck the port configs on each switch. If one port is forced to trunk, and one set to switport mode access, the two will not link.
By default, the ports on a 2950 are set to auto, so if the switches have had no changes to any of the ports, the two should link with a properly connected crossover cable.

As mentioned in the previous post, if the 2950 is at default the ports will be in auto mode. Standard Cat 5e or 6 patch cords work just fine. On all the 2950 switches I have installed, I have never needed any crossover cables, and any port can be an "uplink" port.

Now you say you get no LINK indication, is this only on the cable going to the other switch or does this happen with any device you plugin to the 2950?

I would try differenent ports, you could have one or more bad ones. (not unheard of)

If you get a LINK with a PC connected can you login to the 2950?

Have you tried the console port?

....JIM....

FYI...
The 2950 will not do auto cross if you connerct two switches together, they will require a cross over cable.
The newer Cisco switches do support the auto cross.

Well the C2950G-EI does support regular patch cords, I have one in service uplinking to a 3COM Baseline switch that has been in service since 2004 that way.

I guess the basic 2950s w/o Enhanced Image don't support those types of connections. The only 2950s I have used are the G versions, they have GBIC sockets, and Enhanced Image firmware.

....JIM....

Hi,
To answer a few queries.
I can plug other devices (PC's etc) into both switches and ports light up. I can terminal into the switch and have checked the config of the ports. Nothing seems out of place.
Based on what I've been told here and elsewhere I am begining to think it may be a cabling issue.
Will let ye all know how it goes.
Kippy

My apology for getting carried away.

What kind of Cat5e or Cat 6 cable facility do you have installed between the classrooms?

Are the cable ends terminated as 568A or B on both ends and are all pairs terminated?

Do you have proper pair continuity?

....JIM....

Guys issue resolved.
The Crossover cable I had purchased from a high street retailer, wasnt actually crossover cable. Swapped that for crossover and all began to work.
I went back to the retailer a while ago and gave them my two cents.....
Thanks again for all the help, much appreciated and I've learned a lot with this one.
Kippy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back