Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting two buildings 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGBMA

MIS
Nov 20, 2003
US
We are going to be connecting two separate buildings through a fiber connection between the two buildings. Right now each building has its own T1 connection, firewall etc. We want to be able to connect the buildings so that we can setup a couple of machines that are going to connect to our network. All of the rest of the machines we want to stay on their own segmented network. I was planning on making the fiber connections to a cisco 3548 switch on each side. Right now one network is 192.168.10.x the other is 192.168.30.x. I was planning on just setting up all of the ports on 192.168.30.x to run on a vlan2, and then setting the couple of machines that I need a connection to to VLan1. This seems simple enough, but can it be this easy? This is my first time. ANy thoughts would be appreciated.

You will need to Trunk the Gig port to pass more than 1 vlan.

Enter the command below on the gig interface of both switches.

interface GigabitEthernet0/1
switchport multi vlan 1,1000
switchport mode trunk

If you do this you will be able to add and use Vlans on both swithes.

BIGBMA,

If you do that you will lose connectivity to vlan 2 machines. I guess you need to access servers in vlan 1 and vlan 2 ?

I would suggest getting a multilayer switch on one side wich supports vlan routing.

My other suggestion is to put all the servers in the same vlan and the users in another vlan and management in vlan 1

InDenial

You will need a router or layer3 switch in addition to whatever switches you use to connect the two buildings.

If the two buldings are separate organizations, I would suggest setting up a firewall and using a VPN to get into your building though.

For the time being we will actually not need to access any of the machines on VLAN2. So maybe If I change the switch IP address in the 30.x range to 10.x range. Then I could create a vlan that supports the 30.x range. This should work ok right. My plan is to set their firewall and router all on this vlan in the 30.x range. and setup a DHCP server. for this range. The Vlan will keep all DHCP broadcast traffic on just the ports configured for it right?
Also if I keep their outside router in this range they should all still get out to the internet on their T1 and not come over to the 10.x range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back