Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting to Windows Domain 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

perrymans

IS-IT--Management
Nov 27, 2001
US
Is there a good source of info for configuring a Linux (RH9) server to communicate and be part of a Windows Domain? We are looking to experiment with Linux at work, and there is a 6 month trial download from M$ which is supposed to allow Active Server to control a Linux server, but we have to get the Linux server connected and running first. Thanks. Sean.

hoping this isn't too simplistic, but have you tried samba? I haven't yet jumped up to RH9, but I know RH 7.2 & 8 give you the option of installing samba services in the initial install. however, an even better idea no matter what version Linux you're on is to go to samba.org and grab the latest code or binaries. if you;re not familiar with samba, check out the documentation there. samba in a nutshell tho is an effective and flexible way of allowing your Linux/UNIX (and even macs) machines to be a part of a windows domain. there are many options for configuring if you want to be elaborate, but it also is extremely simple to just get your UNIX/Linux and windows machines talking with minimal config'ing.
good luck!

If you are happy with simply joining the domain

Add the linux server as a domain member in the microsoft box.

Now

smbpasswd -j domain_name -r server_name

Now your samba authentication module will synchronize with the domain.

I am not sure this works with active directory so in Windoz 2000 server you may want to set the compatibility to older windoz version when you add the linux box to the members list.

Bye

Qatqat

I have been happy throughout my life in thinking that samba was I kind of dance; now I live with Linux and all I do is working.

You will need to use Samb 3.0 to participate in Active Directory. Look for the binary rpms to install.

>---------------------------------------Lawrence Feldman
SR. QA. Engineer SNAP Appliance
lfeldman@snapappliance.com

Hi clonny2,

is samba 3 still in alpha release or there is a more stable one out? Is it worth trying to work with it already?

Bye

Qatqat

I have been happy throughout my life in thinking that samba was I kind of dance; now I live with Linux and all I do is working.

Samba 3.0 is almost release. Tridge and Jeremy have branched the code and locked out cvs commits. They are finalizing some documentation and some bug fixes. That i about it.

Is this for Production?

Snap Appliance is using Samab 3.0 in our Guardian Linux OS hardware platforms (4200,4400, 4500, 14000).

I expect it to be officially released in the next couple of months. Even though it is called alpha, it is really Release Candidate.

Hope that helps.

Secondly, what are you trying to accomplish. Creating a samba server that has SHARE and you want to be able to assign Domain users to the shares? Then this will work. You will not be able to really use the mmc to control the server. It is getting better though. You can control some asspects of it.

>---------------------------------------Lawrence Feldman
SR. QA. Engineer SNAP Appliance
lfeldman@snapappliance.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back