Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting to the Internet via Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

virgf1

Technical User
May 12, 2003
GB
Can anyone remind me on how to connect Sol 8 to the internet.
I have a couple of PCs and a sparc 20 on a home network with a belkin router connecting to broadband.I can ping everyone within my network and administer the router via netscape on my sparc 20 but i cannot seem to configure the sparc 20 to "see" out of the router to the Internet.

Any clues would be greatly appreciated as I know I am missing something silly!

Have you set the correct netmask for your Sparc 20 and a default router.

- check the netmask is correct
# ifconfig -a

- To set netmask e.g. for C class on le0
# ifconfig le0 netmask 255.255.255.0

- Add the network and netmask to /etc/netmasks to make the settings persist over reloads

- Check default route - look for default
# netstat -rn

- To add route manually
# route add default <ip address>

- To make default gateway persistant put router address in /etc/defaultrouter file.

Add the file &quot;defaultrouter&quot; to /etc/filesystem and add your router IP address in it. Also cp the nsswitch.dns from /etc/ to /etc/nsswitch.conf. You will also need to have an /etc/resolv.conf file with your nameserver addresses in it.

Thanks all ...

It was a silly error in the resolv.conf file. I added the router IP and then the broadband primary and secondary DNS IPs
Your replies helped remind me to review all the required files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back