Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting to SQL 2000 with SQL 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

roblasch

Programmer
Dec 30, 2000
US

My host server runs only SQL 2000. I have SQL 7. Is there a way to use
enterprise manager within version 7 to connect to the 2000 server? Or is there any other way? I really don't want to upgrade to 2000 if I can avoid it. I think that if I can make the connection that I can use access as the front end. True?

Roblash,
You might create an instance of SQL7 on your 2000 server if it hasn't already been done (probably done during upgrade). You could then link both versions of SQL7 and then have access to the 2000 server.
I'm running SQL7 as a default instance and SQL8 (2000) as a named instance on my personal machine, but haven't upgraded the production SQL7 servers yet.
I'd be interested in knowing how this works out.

You can just install the client tools part of sql 2000. The work great on 7 in fact I have pretty much installed the 2000 tools on all the servers I still have running 7.

I'm bringing this thread back up. I would also like to know where can I receive these client tools part of sql 2000. Does it require a complete sql server 2000 upgrade or can you just upgrade the Enterprise manager without any problems?

An other related question: Anyone that have any experience using replication from a SQL7 to a 2000 server.

You will find the client tools on the SQL2000 cd.
Start the installation and select client tools only or something to that affect. I run sql7 server on my pc which operates as a server and I installed the client tools without any problems.

Remember that this will only allow you to register and use sql2000 servers, you will not have the full 2000 "server" functions on the sql7 boxes eg. indexed views etc.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back