Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting to Oracle 8i DB 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyTanR

IS-IT--Management
Sep 28, 2000
US
I am new to Oracle and installed Oracle 8i on a machine and also install Oracle Forms 8.1.6 on the same machine. The machines name is jamesb. The DB and the Forms are installed into different Oracle_Home directories. The OS is NT 4.0 Workstation and port 80 and 1521 are listening. In the installation of my DB I specified ORCL as my Database and ORCL as my SID. The following is the entry made in my NameTSN.ora file that should reference the DB:
ORCL=
(DESCRIPTION=
(ADDRESS_LIST=
(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=jamesb)(PORT=1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA=(SID = ORCL)
)
)
When I try to connect via SQL*PLus I get:
Error-12505: TNS:listener could not resolve SID given in connect descriptor.

What is the reason for this. I have looked for every technical document that I can find and cannot find anything that references this error. Any suggestions?

[sig][/sig]

Give a try to this:
1)shutdown the database
2) at the o/s prompt (oracle's default directory), give the following without any soace anywhere:
c:\...>oracle_sid=orcl
3) start the database
4) try connecting now.

I am trying to connect to an Oracle 8i database with Access 97 from a remote workstation. However, I cannot seem to connect. What are the specific steps required in order to link to the Oracle table.

TyTan R can you please inform us whether the suggestion put fwd (by KAVY)worked for you.

Thanks in advance

My apologies. I must have missed an email reminder to check back. That appears to have been the solution. Thank you.

I have installed personal oracle 8i. I was told to put in scott as the username; tiger as the password and ODBC:polite as the host string. I do all this but get the following error message every time:

ERROR:
ORA-06401: NETCMN: invalid driver designator

then wehn i reenter the username and password at the prompt

ERROR:
ORA-12203: TNS:unable to connect to destination

I've tried "system" and "manager" to no avail as well.Help please someone.

Hello everyone
Can anybody help me about my oracle8i that I installed on windows 98 2nd edition
I tried everything to log on but I could not.
It says on a pop up window named OSTART .... "Can not open registry Software\ORACLE\HOMEO\SID_LIST
Starting with default sid.

Thanks in advance

Iris29, have u configured ur ODBC ? Do u have a driver associated with polite. Check it out in ur ODBC config.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back