Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

connecting to netware 6.5 from a mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

heado

MIS
May 14, 2004
IE
Hi folks,

I am having a problem connecting to my netware 6.5 server from a mac. I am connecting via the ip address if the server and then typing in username and password. I am getting the error "Login failed. Sorry, the password you entered was incorrect. Please reenter it". I can log in fine from a PC using the same username and password?

You need to go to SYS:ETC\CIFSCTX.CFG and put the context in that the users login from. Then stop and start CIFS or restart your server.

Also make sure that CIFS stuff is set to load in the AUTOEXEC.NCF

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

correct me if Im wrong here but CIFS is microsoft support. for MAC try loading LOAD AFPTCP CLEARTEXT this will allow the creation of clear text passwords once all your MAC users connect at least once then just load LOAD AFPTCP also
macintosh users do not need to enter a context or have an entry in the context search file if their User objects are placed in the same container as the Server object.

Okay, I'm correcting you.. Although you have a few valid points, you are a little bit off.

If users are in the same context as server, you shouldn't need to enter anything. But if outside the server context, they either have to put the full name.context in, or use the file to specify the context's to search.

Note that according to the TIDs', you can only have 31 or so characters in the name on MAC's, so if the full context +name is more than that, you have to use the CIFSCTX.CFG file. Considering the skill level of mac users I have dealt with, I would highly recommend CIFSCTX.CFG.

You may also have to use CTXS.CFG. This TID is a nice reference:

What exactly are you correcting me on ? hehe, how can I have only a few valid points you aggreed with everything I said, If they are in the same context as the server as I stated you dont need to add context to CTXS.CFG which is true, You are just adding that if they are NOT in the same context as the server you will need to add context to the CTXS.CFG file if they reach a char limit.
where you where wrong is CIFS as you stated above, CIFS has nothing to do with MAC support it is for microsoft support MAC's dont use CIFS they use AFP ( native file access uses each OS's native file sharing protocol Microsoft uses CIFS, MAC AFP, Unix NFS ). which is why I said to load AFPTCP CLEARTEXT which uses the CTXS.CFG file not the CIFSCTXS.CFG.

I'm not really sure. For some reason I've been getting into pissing matches over stupid little details.

The thing about cifs not being afp is true, but I tend to mix the two together because they are part of a similar package that allows clients to access a Novell server without a novell client. Apologies for not clarifying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back