Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting to my Win2k server via modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigitalMandrake

IS-IT--Management
Aug 23, 2001
AU
Hi all,

I have recently moved away from home where I left (to my brother) a fairly reasonable P3 system running Win2k with aDSL internet connection.

My question is: Is it possible to dial into my bro's P3 via a modem ofcourse, log in and then connect to internet via his machine.

In other words can I use his machine as remote-gateway to internet.

I have a Dell Laptop with 56k modem running Win2k.

Thanks in advance.

hi,

yes, it should be perfectly possible. As a mather of fact, there are some different possibilities to do this.

1) You can configure RRAS to manage dial in users, so you can dail in and than you can use the home network as if your were directly connected to it.

2) You can use Terminal services. In this case you install terminal server as a remote management station, so it allows 2 connections at a time. Then you need to configure your modem on your server, and cofigure TS to use this modem. Like this you share the desktop from the server on your own desktop, and you have all the functionality like sitting on you server at home.

greetings

Wouter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back