Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting to my LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

degaball

Technical User
Dec 18, 2008
How do I connect to my LAN on my newly formatted Windows XP Pro

My first choice would be using a Ethernet patch cable, what error messages are you getting when you try this?

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

I assume degaball must've used the wrong cable - the cable he was using to connect the computer he typed from. [wink]

That, or degaball just dropped de ball.[wink]

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Apparently you need to connect an Ethernet cable (type: UTP Cat.5 or better) to your network router. If you wanna connect automatically to the network you need to make sure that the router has DHCP activated, which distributes IPs dynamically over the network. Then go to Windows Control Panel>Network and Internet Connections>Network Connections and find the icon of your Network Adapter. Open the properties and on the General tab double click on TCP/IP and make sure that the computer takes the IP address as well as the DNS server addresses automatically. Verify your selection close all windows and you ready!

Visit my website==>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back