Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting to Microsoft Olap cubes from ASP thru OLE DB/MSOLAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

afzalz

Programmer
Aug 17, 2000
GB
I'm trying to connect to one of my cubes thru the MSOLAP provider for OLEDB. I;ve managed to do this successfully thru VB but am having serious problems using the same technique form an ASP page heres the error that I get:-

"Microsoft® OLE DB Provider for OLAP Services error '80004005'

OLAP server error: The operation requested failed due to security problems (resource access error: access is denied). "

Any body know how IIS works with the OLAP service provider???

I've similar problesm, and found that is was because I try to have the IIS server on a difference physical server to the SQL server. IIS cannot pass the security from the end user back to hte SQL box, so have got arounf it now but displaying dirrent pages via asp dependant on the users login, and having to give averyone access to the SQL data.

Its a bugger though!

If you find another way around it, let me know too!

rgrds, Fiona
Mailto: willif@mosspharmacy.co.uk

Fiona Williams

OLAP Server use only Integrated Security.
Try the following:

1. Create role for cube you are going to access.
This role has to contain NT account.
2. Assign this NT account to access ASP page that
connect to the cube.

If Client is not in the same domain as OLAP Server,
then prompt to enter User name and Password will appear.

I've got mine to work now with the following connect string in an ini file:

ConnectString=Provider=MSOLAP.1;Persist Security Info=False;Data Source=SERVERNAME;Connect Timeout=60;Initial Catalog=OLAPDBNAME;Client Cache Size=25;Auto Synch Period=10000
Catalog=OLAPDBNAME
Cube=CUBENAME

Try that? - Lemme know! - I'm allowing the asp to take care of the security though, rather than using OLAP security. Too many problems with IIS4 not delegating your user and pwd. Havn't yet tried with IIS, Win200 and SQL2000, but apparently it works!

Fi.

:)

This is a real newbie question.
What is an ini file and how do I go about creating one?
I have my OLAP cube on the same machine as I do IIS but off different drives and the SQL Server 7.0 RDBMS that feeds the cube is running of another machine.
When I try to connect to the cube via ASP I get the following error

"Microsoft® OLE DB Provider for OLAP Services error '80004005'

OLAP server error: The operation requested failed due to security problems (resource ACL access error: access is denied)."

I can't figure out why this is happening...Help please.

Millie

Can you view all the cube properly from the machine itself?

Have you set up the securty in OLAP as well as in SQL - (I guess you know they are different)

Let me know!

PS You get better answers from starting a new thread!

Fi.

:)

Hi, all
I am facing some serious problem while connecting to MS SQL Server 7.0 to make cube using ADOMD with OLE DB Provider for OLAP Server. Please help me...

Bilal

Hi All,
I am trying to connect to OLAP cube through Excel. When I use MS OLE DB Provider for OLAP services 8.0, it asks for authentication. When I give proper authentication it connects and shows me all cubes.
One of my machines do not have above driver and use MS OLE DB Provider for OLAP services (may be previous version). It connects but do not show any cubes.
Is there any solution for this?

I am having similar problems with the integrated security. When IIS and OLAP are on same box, no problem. When the two are separated, I get the ACL error. The two machines are on the same domain and I have an NT user that has access to the cube(read)and has operator privledges in IIS. I am not familiar enough with either of these two products or security for that matter, so I would appreciate any help!

Hi all...

I'd experienced this problem too... I think that other guys replied the answer to the forum already, but... The problem is that you have to define a Role on the OLAP Manager wich contains the users you want to access the OLAP Cube, and after that, connect that role with your cube. You can do all this in OLAP Manager. If you want everyone accessing your olap cube, remeber to insert the internet guest account in the role.

Hugs, Maltus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back