Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting to Linksys Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

ottge

Technical User
May 2, 2005
US
Hello,

I am attempting to access a Linksys BEFSR41 wired router remotely, but am unable to do so. I have DDNS set up for the router, and am able to ping the router with the correct IP address. I have enabled Remote Management from the web-based utility while it was connected to the local network, and am able to connect locally still. I have other computers connected to the router with the appropriate port forwarding set to the correct internal IP addresses of these computers, but cannot access these remtely either. Is there another setting on the router that I need to enable? After I connected the router to the modem and found out my IP address, I looked within the router web interface on one of the settings and it had my Internet IP address as something different (it appeared to be an internal IP address starting at 192.168.x.x). I have DNS forwarding set up with DynDSN.org, and when I updated this via the router, my account was changed to this 192.168.x.x address. However, I cannot ping this address, nor can I still connect via the Internet. Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks.

I'm having a bit of a tough time following your description, but I suspect that the first problem is that your 'modem' is also a router. What is the make & model of the modem? What happens if you point your web browser to where the x's are theWAN IP address that the linksys receives?

What services do you have running behind the linksys that you are trying to connect to?

The modem is not a router; it is jsut a regular modem. When I attempt to connect to the router via the Internet, given the external IP address, the page times out. However, connecting across the LAN I have no troubles whatsoever. I have prot forwarding to a specific computer for VNC and FTP, and the IP address for that computer is static. However, I cannot connect through these ports either.

So for the WAN IP address, your linksys router does not receive a private address; it gets a valid public address? If so, I must have misunderstood.

It seems to receive a valid IP address assigned by the ISP. However, what confuses me is that within the router configuration that a setting for the Internet IP address is reported as 192.168.x.x, where the IP address returned from was reported as 72.48.x.x. As stated previously, whenever I attempt to update the router's WAN IP address through the web interface setting for Dynamic DNS, it registers the 192.168.x.x address. Shouldn't it register the 72.48.x.x address instead? I believe that this may be why I cannot connect remotely, but am unsure.

The reason that you're getting a private IP address on the WAN side of your linksys router is because something is assigning it via DHCP - either your 'modem' or your isp. As I mentioned earlier, my suspicion is that the 'modem' is actually a router with it's own DHCP server - how do know that "it's just a regular modem"?

Also, what is the make & model of the 'modem'?

The reason you're getting a 192.x.x.x on your computers, is because that is what your router is assigning it. Once your computers get outside your router, it translate to an IP address that matches the internal IP Schema of your ISP's network. I.E....

Inbound Connections
ISP (72.x.x.x) -> Router
Router Translates 72.x.x.x to 192.x.x.x

Outbound Connections
Computer (192.x.x.x) -> Router (192.x.x.x)
Router Translates Computer's ISP to an IP Address compatible with the ISP's internal network (72.x.x.x).

Well, it appears that the modem in question is not just a modem at all. It is a router/modem, thus the reason why I am having a problem. The problem that I am facing now is how to access the web-driven interface for this Westell 6100 Router/Modem, which typing in 192.168.1.1 does not appear to work properly, even after resetting the modem and unplugging it from the power outlet (this is what Verizon technical support suggested). If I can set this Westell 6100 for Bridged Ethernet, and use this Linksys (which I prefer), then I should be alright.

That's where I was headed..... If you take the linksys router out entirely for the time being, can you access the westell's admin page at after rebooting your pc? (where xxx is whatever address scheme / subnet that your pc gets from the westell).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back