Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting to Kazaa through Proxy Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milhaud

Instructor
Mar 17, 2001
US
How do I configure MS Proxy Server 2 to allow the clients in our company to connect to Kazaa. We are using Win2000 Server and MS Proxy Server 2. The only way to the internet in our company is through the proxy server, a person can not bypass it at all.

I do not have any documentation on Proxy Server 2 and have not found any information from the MS website. Thanks.

Ensure the Socks Service is running on MS Proxy. Configure Kazza in the connection settings to use the socks service to connect to the internet on port 1080

The socks service is running and I have tried to connect to Kazaa by selecting socks 5 in the tool-option menu. I directed it to go to the proxy using port 1080 but the lower right hand corner only reads - connecting.......

In Microsoft Management Console, when I right click socks and left click properties I get the screen for configuring socks. There is nothing in the permission screen. Do I still need to configure something in the socks settings on the Proxy Server?

hi milhaud read ur thread posted on jan 31 , 2002.

first configure a new protocol on the proxy server with the tcp port no 1214 as kazaa uses this tcp port and then try giving access to ur clients. it should work cause i ahd done the same for msn messenger.

hi milhaud
just read ur thread posted on jan 31 , 2002.

first configure a new protocol on the proxy server with the tcp port no 1214 as kazaa uses this tcp port and then try giving access to ur clients. it should work cause i ahd done the same for msn messenger.

I have set the tcp in the proxy server, set the firewall to go to the server through port 1214, but I am still not connecting. All I get is: connecting... until I cancel the action.

hi milhaud

not the firewall

first on the server u have the list of the ports along with the application that uses it like icq and msn etc. there define a new filter with the name kazaa and enter port 1214 and then apply filter to the users who need access. all this on the proxy server.
the WSP client side does not change it is ur server name and port 80.

no changes to be made on the client side.

mail me on kaoomatia@yahoo.com if u don't get thru as i will be away for a few days.

In Isa Server Manager go to Policy Elements
In Protocol Definitions create a new Protocol Defn for Kazaa:

Protocol Defn - Name 'KaZaA', Primary Connection (TCP, port 1214, Direction outbound), Secondary (TCP, port 1214, Direction inbound)

Then in Access Policy select Protocol Rules

Create or edit existing Protocol Rule - Enabled, Allow traffic, Selected Protocols (ensure Kazaa entry is ticked), Applies to All, Applies Always).

That's done it for me, so please give that a go.

All the best, johnnyb

The problem has been solved. We had not installed the MS Proxy client onto the client workstations and configured it to use the proxy server from MS.

After doing so, we can use audiogalaxy, kazaa, limewire, and etc. Thanks for all the suggestions. This was a true learning experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back