Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

connecting to internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTmtnbkr

IS-IT--Management
Dec 4, 2002
US
Hi,

Newbie here...looking for some guidance

Setup w2k3 server.....and cannot access internet.

I have a linksys wrt54g router...setup as dhcp server....should i disable that?

System has static ip address. I remember something about setting up forward lookup zones with my isp's dns servers in win2000 server.

What do I have to do to get it to work in 2003?

also...clients cant ping the server address 192.168.0.1

actually cant even have xp clients find the domain...any help?

thanks in advance
T

Can you ping the router from the server? The problem is most likely in your setup of your router. Did you set up an exception rule in the router for the server? Are all of your server IP ranges correct (I.E. Gateway, subnet mask)?

No,

I cannot ping the router 192.168.1.1

What do you mean by exception for the server?

What do I need to do to set this up?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

If you can't ping the router, I would say that there are problems with the IP setup on your server. I noticed that you have 192.168.0.1 as your server address. Try changing it to 192.168.1.* (any number that is not being used by other PC's). If you don't have a problem then, you know that you were using the wrong subnet, and then go from there. What I meant about the exception rule in your Linksys is the tab for the DHCP, towards the bottom, there is an exception button/area to fill out PC's that you have given a static IP to, and do not want that IP dished out to any other system. Normally, you don't have to worry about this as most of the linksys routers "comprehend" the leasing scheme of most people, and will not expire a lease (it really does, but renews with the same IP as everything else).
Let us know how this goes, and we can assist more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back