Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting to Internet 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drummermoose

Technical User
Jan 22, 2002
GB
I am trying to connect to the internet on my Windows 2000 server. It dials up and establishes a connection then tries to connect to a web site but every website address I try keeps on coming up with the message 'The page cannot be displayed'

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Still not working.

I've tried to do the things you said, but I'm new to this so I'm not sure if I've done it correctly.

what did you do?
Your biggest problem there is that the gateway for your remote adapter is pointing to itself. You should not change manualy that setting, your ISP should provide you the right router address (gateway)!

Gia Betiu
gia@almondeyes.net
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, MCSE Win2K
new: (just started)

How can I find out the gateway from a standard home dial-up connection?

Thanks,

Ben

You cannot. The gateway should be assigned automatically by your ISP. The ISP is providing via DHCP this information (IP address, net mask, gateway, DNS, etc).
Just be sure that you didn't add manually that entry in your remote interface TCP/IP settings.
As the report of netdiag is saying your remote interface has set as router the computer itself. Who set this, i don't know.

Gia Betiu
gia@almondeyes.net
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, MCSE Win2K
new: (just started)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back