Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting to Internet 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drummermoose

Technical User
Jan 22, 2002
GB
I am trying to connect to the internet on my Windows 2000 server. It dials up and establishes a connection then tries to connect to a web site but every website address I try keeps on coming up with the message 'The page cannot be displayed'

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

It looks like your DNS server is not working.
Go to DOS command prompt and type nslookup, see the answer of the system (server found or not,. etc).
NSLOOKUP will contact the DNS server. The question is which DNS server, and if that DNS server answers properly or not.
Tell me what nslookup is saying.
Then try o type in nslookup:
see the answer.

Gia Betiu
gia@almondeyes.net
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, MCSE Win2K
new: (just started)

When i type nslookup it says:

DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds
***Can't find server name for address 100.100.100.90: Timed out
Default Server: Locahost
Address: 127.0.0.1

When i type nslookup at the command prompt it says:

*** Can't find server name for address 100.100.100.90: Non-existent domain
Server: localhost
Address: 127.0.0.1

Non-autoritative answer:
Name: Addresses: 207.46.249.222, 207.46.134.190, 207.46.134.222
Aliases:
Thanks for your help

Well, there are two things to be mentioned here.
First is that your DNS server (that looks like being installed on your computer) it is configured working just on loopback (just 127.0.0.1 address).
I'm wondering why. One of the reason could be that you didn't have a network card on that server (or no network attached to activate the interface). Is it true?
Secon thing is that when you have more interfaces, the somputer will try to solve the DNS requests asking one by one the DNS servers configured on every interface.
The best way to speed up things is to configure your DNS server to forward the unknown requests to the DNS server from your internet service provider.

Gia Betiu
gia@almondeyes.net

Here's a bit more info.

100.100.100.90 is the network ip address of that server. The server is the domain controller on a network of about 28 computers.

Thanks

Great. Then check your DNS configuration (DNS mmc, server/properties/Interfaces). It seems that DNS is activated just for loopback address.
And, try to have a look on my site. I explained there few things about relation internal DNS, external DNS, Internet. For sure it will make you a better image about the processes involved there.

Also, a question: who is trying accessing the Internet? A client had that error or the server?

Gia Betiu
gia@almondeyes.net

The server had the error. After this is working I will then network the connection.

Under interfaces it says it's listening on: 'only the following IP addresses:'

Should I change this to 'All IP addresses'?

On your site you mention about removing the "." domain in foward lookup zone, do I have to do that?

Thanks,

Ben

Yes, without removing "." zone the serevr will be considered a root server, and will not have the possibility to forward the coming requests that is not able to serve (eg: requests from the clients refering to names from the internet).

Take care, there is huge difference how your clients will access the internet and how your server will do this. The server will have two interfaces, both with different DNS servers. Clients will have to use as DNS just your DNS server. How this will impact? You saw in nslookup answers. The server is checking first it's own DNS zone (that... is root, so is supposing to know everything, since nobody is above it).

Ok,. shortly speaking:
- delete that"." zone
- set as forwarder the address of the ISP's DNS

Gia Betiu
gia@almondeyes.net

go to a dos prompt and type c:>ipconfig /all

Look for your internet (probabaly the dialup) adapter and see what it says it is using for DNS. If you are using a regular dialup adapter connection (like you would do at home dialing into the internet) and the tcp/ip and DNS information is not correct (i.e. not an internet DNS server for your ISP and not a tcp/ip address supplied by your ISP), then right click my network places/properties/right click the dial up adapter/properties/networking tab/highlight tcp/ip/properties button. You should be obtaining your ip address and DNS information automatically from your ISP for this connection. I dial in from my test server and I do not configure anything special and it is a Domain Controller with DHCP, DNS, and WINS.

When I went to delete the "." zone it says it would also delete it from the Active Directory. Will that remove all my user accounts from the server?

I've deleted the "." zone and put the isp's DNS in forwarders, but still no joy.

When it is trying to find a website it says in the status bar "connecting to site xxx.xx.xxx.xxx".

Any other ideas.

Thanks,

Ben

That's a good step. That means that finally your DNS resolution is working.
The problem now looks that is the gateway. Try to ping an internet address. Is it working?
And again, as I said,. see what answer you have on a client computer.

Gia Betiu
gia@almondeyes.net

Here's the results I get from pinging:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ping
Pinging [207.46.134.222] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 207.46.134.222:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ping
Pinging [216.239.53.99] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 216.239.53.99: bytes=32 time=296ms TTL=47
Reply from 216.239.53.99: bytes=32 time=281ms TTL=47
Reply from 216.239.53.99: bytes=32 time=281ms TTL=47
Reply from 216.239.53.99: bytes=32 time=282ms TTL=47

Ping statistics for 216.239.53.99:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 281ms, Maximum = 296ms, Average = 285ms

Check your internet settings in the intenet browser ( IE, netscape).
And i hope that you didn't do these tests with firewall on (if you have one). If yes, try to disable it, or configure it properly.

Gia Betiu
gia@almondeyes.net

I've gone through the internet settings setting things to default and I don't have a firewall active, but still no joy.

Do you think there are any windows services that are running that might prevent it from working?

ping name ok => DNS working, IP connection established
Try another protocol. Go to command prompt and type:
ftp ftp.microsoft.com
see if you have an answer.

Gia Betiu
gia@almondeyes.net

Your external adapter is using as gateway itself!!! Why?
Should be a router from your provider!!

Another thing is that your DNS server doesn't have records for itself in the DNS! Is dynamic update activated on your DNS server? Also set on the internal interface to use the DNS server: 100.100.100.90.
Check your DNS server and see if is having configured as interfaces: 100.100.100.90.
(DNS mmc, server/properties / interfaces)
Is that the only DNS server in your network?

Also the computer is trying to register itself iin a DNS and is forcing even on the DNS servers from the internet.
To avoid such activity, set on your remote interface as DNS just your 100.100.100.90. (but, is not such a big error this, is working in both ways).
And don't forget, configure your DNS server to use as forwarder the address from your provider!

Gia Betiu
gia@almondeyes.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back