Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting to Hotmail with Indy SMTP

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbjb

Instructor
Aug 7, 2011
GB
In August 2010 galcott posted a query (on this forum) about how to use Indy 9 SMTP to send messages via Hotmail.

See
I have exactly this problem. I can work with GMail and any unencrypted SMTP server etc. I can set up an email client (Outlook or Thunderbird) that will talk to Hotmail on my account. I've tried all the suggestions in the replies and links, but cannot get this to work.

I suspect Indy just doesn't support the STARTTLS encryption type but just thought I would ask again, since the entry above never posted a solution or a definitive statement that this cannot be done.

If I remember correctly, TLS was implemented from version 10.

Cheers,
Daddy

-----------------------------------------------------
What You See Is What You Get
Never underestimate tha powah of tha google!

Many thanks. What I need to know, before going through the hassle of upgrading to Indy 10, is if anyone has got SMTP to work with Hotmail?

Glen Alcott seemed to think it should work with Indy 9, as you can talk to GMail, which Glen thought also required TLS. (I'm not sure he is right).

His IdSSLIOHandlerSocket is configured thus:
object IdSSLIOHandlerSocket1: TIdSSLIOHandlerSocket
OnStatus = IdSSLIOHandlerSocket1Status
SSLOptions.Method = sslvSSLv2
SSLOptions.Mode = sslmUnassigned
SSLOptions.VerifyMode = []
SSLOptions.VerifyDepth = 0
end

There is an option SSLOptions.Method = sslvTLSv1
which would appear to imply TLS is supported. However that option does not work either.

I found one forum entry which implied nothing had improved with Indy10, but that could be wrong.

So - is there anyone reading this forum that has been able to use SMTP to Hotmail successfully?

If so I will go through the hassle of upgrading to 10!

Thanks in anticipation..... Brendan.

Thanks Glenn, that seems to cover it. I will see if I can get these suggestions to work. Brendan.

I personally wasn't involved, but our company's software successfully works with hotmail SMTP via Indy 10.

JD Solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back