Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting to Delphi/Borland/Inprise tables from MS Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

molzim

Programmer
Sep 16, 2002
US
Working from within an MS Access database, how do I import data from tables created by Delphi's BDE? What ADO connection string would allow me to gain access to the data inside the table/tables that I specify?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

How to use Look Up fields with Tables /Queries
faq102-1212 has some definitions.

To bring the data from an access table, create an alias in the bde pointing to your access database.

Regards Steven van Els
SAvanEls@cq-link.sr

Thanks, svanels. However, I want to make sure you understand my question. I am "in" the Access database, and I wish to import the Delphi data into the Access database. So maybe my question should be: How do I read Delphi data tables from within Access?

You can import paradox (which I'm almost certain is the bde default) *.db files into access. Just create a blank database, or use one you already have, and use Get External Data from the file menu, click import. When the import dialog comes up, select paradox (*.db) from the Files of Type dropdown and hit the import button. There can be some data type issues (particularly with date/time data) after the conversions.

If I'm wrong about the BDE default being *.db, then check and see if the file extension is available in the Files of Type dropdown on the import dialog.

Delphi itself doesn't have tables and records, although you can construct them with object pascal.
The problem with these structures is that only the designer know how to read or write to them.

In general delphi (programming language like C, VB, Cobol, Fortran, Visual C) works together with a known database format like paradox, dbase, access, oracle, sql-server etc.

For importing the data, you do not need Delphi, Access has to comunicate with the other database format.

Probably the tables are in paradox or dbase which are owned by Borland, but it could also be MySQL Steven van Els
SAvanEls@cq-link.sr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back