Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting to Console

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalsouls

Technical User
Sep 22, 2003
GB
Hi, i have only just been invited into the world of cisco and i wanted to have a look at my switches at work. now i have read a few things about them and they ask me to "Attach a terminal or PC with terminal emulation (for example, Hyper Terminal)" what does this mean. i know there is a console port on the back of the switch and also my router but when i put a network lead in and try and telnet in to it, my laptop does not see it. am i doing some thing wrong? i have used both a cat5 network lead and also a crossover cable.

I understand that this is a lame question to ask but i have to learn some where and i cant seem to find the answers any where else.

Thanks
RichyB

Hilgraeve's Hyper Terminal is a terminal emulation program that is included with Windows. It's usually somewhere under the "Accessories" section of the "Programs" menu. For example, on Windows 2000, it's under Start/Programs/Accessories/Communications. When you launch it, it will prompt you for a name. Just type in anything you want. Then it asks how you are going to connect to the device. In your case this will be either COM1 or COM2 depending on which port you plugged the adapter into (see below). If after a couple of seconds nothing appears on the screen, try pressing the enter key or the space bar.

You need to use a rollerover cable and Cisco's DB9 to RJ45 or DB25 to RJ45 serial port adapter when connecting to the console port. The adapter connects into your laptop's serial port, and then rollerover cable is then plugged into the adapter at one end and the switch/router at the other end.

If you search the Web, you can probably find several places to buy the cables and the adapters. For example, here are links to the items at a place I've purchased from before:

rollover cable:
DB9 to RJ45 adapter:
However, if you know how to make your own patch cables, making a rollover cable is easy. Here's the pinout:

1 to 8
2 to 7
3 to 6
4 to 5
5 to 4
6 to 3
7 to 2
8 to 1

Rite i have made a cable and plugged it in. i have used hyper terminal to get i nto it. used the proper settings to get in but its just a blank screen with a flashing cursor? any ideas

You will most likely have to press enter a few times to get it to do something. If these are work switches/routers then they will be password protected (or should be). The first prompt will be to enter a password.

Im not getting that i have pressed enter alot of times and it doesnt work, i made my own rollover cable is that all i need to do?

Make sure that the com port settings are 9600 baud, 8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit and hardware flow control.

Also, Hyperterm is not the optimal solution for console work. Get Teraterm, Putty or your choice of telnet/console application. They are more reliable when it comes to working on the console. Not that Hyperterm wont work, it will but an example is trying to send control break. It's not the normal sequence..

If you want, you can grab the current private edition of hyperterm here :

This should work. [shocked]

MikeS

Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

If you have a cable tester that shows a wire map, be sure to test the rollover cable, and check your port settings as wybnormal suggests.

If you don't have a cable tester to verify your cable with, try remaking it. I know I've made my share of mis-wired cables.

Also, how long is this cable? I don't know what the magic number is, but I'm sure there is a limit on the length of cable that a serial signal will travel. I've made 15 ft. rollover cables that worked without issue. However, if the cable you made is longer than that, maybe attenuation is the problem.

As a last thought, check in windows to be sure the COM port you’re using is listed and working properly.

Hi!

The pinout provided by ChicagoJim only contains the rollover cable, you also need a DB9 to Rj-45 Conversion. I had the same problem too but teletec1052 gave me this pinout for an "all-in-one cable" and it worked for me.

RJ-45 DB9
1 - 8
2 - 6
3 - 2
4 - 5
5 - 5
6 - 3
7 - 4
8 - 7

This link can provide you some more information (but scheme might be confusing)
Good luck!

OuTRage.

RJ-45 DB9
1 - 8
2 - 6
3 - 2
4 - 5
5 - 5
6 - 3
7 - 4
8 - 7

does 1= white orange
2= orange
3= White-Green
4=blue
5=White-Blue
6=Green
7=white brown
8= brown

Is this correct?

It's hard to say which color belongs to wich number (cables may be different). The best way to check it is to use a multimeter and check it pin by pin (so pin 1 at the RJ-45 must give a result on the multimeter with db-9 pin 8).

For numbering on the RJ-45 you may use this image
The pins on your DB-9 connector are numbered, but here is an image again

Maybe an overload of information but during my research i used these links (but information provided above must do the trick)

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back