Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting to an S8300 through logical LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

kavsagol

Programmer
Nov 13, 2006
IL
We managed to connect an IPO to an S8300 system through an IP trunk. Things are going great when they are both on the same network, however we need our IPO to be on 192.168.168.x and the S8300 is at 149.49.140.x, so we created a logical LAN on the IPO. The S8300 is the gateway for the logical LAN and the IPO's logical LAN address is the S8300's gateway.

We can dial from PBX to PBX, but the S8300 extension cannot hear the IPO's extensions. What is blocking the sound from the IPO to the S8300?

no voice is a routing problem
how are they connected ?

They are connected with a Logical LAN.

You cannot use VoIP over a Logical LAN in IP Office because the Logical LAN use NAT for Internet Access. It is not possible to bypass the NAT.
It is useless to spend another minute trying, it just won't work.

Actually there is no NAT since the IPO is connected to the S8300, and it has the main address. If it was a NAT problem I would have no voice at all, not only in one direction.

I have sites connected all over the place. Same LAN different LAN/WAN and i have never needed to touch the logical lan settings. That is only for internet access i thought.

kavsagol
A logical LAN on the IP Office is a separate LAN and from the logical LAN you cannot access the physical LAN and from the physical LAN you cannot access the logical LAN.
In order to access the logical LAN from the physical LAN Avaya implemented a NAT from Physical LAN towards the logical LAN. There is no NAT reversal option build in.

The Logical LAN is only available to access a xDSL for Internet access, you really cannot use it for a Voip connection it just will not work.

intrigrant: Like I wrote before, the S8300 does not need to access the physical LAN, it needs to access the IPO. The IPO is the router, so it does not require any NAT, as far as I understand routing. Devices connected to the IPO are connected through NAT, but not the IPO itself. If what you wrote is correct, I'd get no sound at all or sound from the IPO outwards, but what I get is sound from the S8300 coming in the IPO, but no sound is coming back from it to the S8300.

if intrigrant says it does not work then it does not work :)
i think you have to work with an ip route
if i understand right they are in the same building and connected straight to each other ?

here a link where is told how to do it

Never use the IPO as router just use your switch or other good network device as your router.

Have over 100+ side,s with ip with diffrent brands al without problems because we never i say never use poor network equipment.

Greets Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back