Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting to an Access 2000 database

Status
Not open for further replies.

helpmands

Programmer
Jul 4, 2002
NZ
I am a new user to VB after years of working solely with Access. I want to try and re-write some of my databases in VB but using the existing Access tables.

The problem I have encounter straight away is that for some reason I can sucessfully connect to one access 2000 database but not another for some unknown reason.

I am running VB6 with SP5 installed. Both databases (the one I can and the one I can't connect to) were origionaly written in Access 2000.

Can anyone please help me?

Make sure that you've gto the newest MDAC version ( If that dosen't solve the problem, you'll probably have to show your code and explain which error messages you get...
Sunaj
'The gap between theory and practice is not as wide in theory as it is in practice'

Thanks for that - I had downloaded MDAC 2.7 in an attempt to fix it but that didn't work either. I managed to get it working by copying the database I could connect to, deleting all the tables in it, and importing the tables from the database I couldn't connect to. And go figure - that worked! Microsoft!@#$#$% So while I still have no idea what was causing the problem I found a work around.

Are you sure that one of them wasn't converted from Access 97? I had a problem with this which boiled down to choosing a different provider in the connection string. Some databases bombed VB and some were fine. Peter Meachem
peter@accuflight.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back