Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting to a WIN2K Server share

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snarfster

IS-IT--Management
Dec 31, 2003
CA
Hello all,

I've got a bizzare problem, perhaps one of you have seen it before. First a discription. A small network with a WIN 2K server, doing nothing but a large drive share. It is set up for IIS web/FTP service which is not in use and is configured as a terminal server. It all has been running fine for about a year. Nothing has changed but this problem has popped up. All my other machines connect fine to the server share. I have one particular computer I use for media (Video Digitizing, MIDI, MOD, etc.) that used the share quite a bit as the drive installed in the server is a large one and as you know, video takes up mega space. The whole system is DHCP from a router on a ADSL system. The router is properly configured. The server has a static address and no DNS/DHCP, etc services are offered.

So with the details here is the problem. The media machine cannot connect with the server share. I used "\\server\share\" with success and then it started to not work. Therefore I tried "\\ServerIP(0.0.0.0)\share" and that worked for some time and then started failing. Now I cannot connect at all. All other machines are connecting fine, I can ping the server from the media machine, both IP and URL (\\server\share) from a DOS box but no connection from "My computer","Map drive"

Wow. There you are. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Is the workstation Windows 2000?
Is the server share made available for offline use?

Have you checked the Event Viewer for any errors on the Windows 2000 workstation?

Without getting more info on the problem, it would seem to me that there is a DNS issue.

Roger that gentlemen. A WIN 98 se client, the servers event logs have no hickups or warnings. Tried the DNS service. Enabled it on the server (DHCP) and tried it the high speed way (DHCP from router, from ADSL modem). DNS is what I thought, it was not resolving the address but even suppling the IP\share did not work. I can go to a DOS promt and ping, tracert, etc and all that works. Both IP and UNC resolution fine.

Since last spoken, I've gone on the server and removed all networking systems (Adapter, Protocols, Services) and re-did them. The WIN 98se box now intermitently connects via UNC or IP.

Strange one I'd say. I'd like to figure this one out as I am the system admin on a coupla networks and if I run into this problem again.

Again, thanks for all the help and any suggestions would be welcomed.

Many thanks

TTYL

ERob

If the box is running XP it might have a corrupt IP stack and have to reinitalize it.

go to
If it's 2K Pro - delete all the services/protocols in the Local Area connection:

Client for MS Networking
File and Printer Sharing for MS Networks
Internet Protocol
etc...

Restart and install them again - be sure to disable all live network services that depend on these layers.

Cheers.
jc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back