Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting to a TV in Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonWilliams

Technical User
Nov 7, 2003
US
Can anyone assist in helping me connect my US computer to a French TV to show pictures? The French have a different TV standard than we do and I have no idea what to do

TIA Don

Us standard is NTSC ...National Television System Committee.

Europe standard is PAL...Phase Alternating Line.

A TV interface card has one or the other or possibly both.

Solution is to get a card that supports PAL if yours does not.

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

I have a laptop with a NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 video card I have not been able to determine if this card supports both PAL and NTSC. If any one has information it would be appreciated.

don

A quick look and found that this "video" card suports DVD, HD, and streaming video playback. No mention of this being a "TV Card".

Have you had the TV capability in the US?

TV meaning not a pre processed HD digital signal, but over the air or other normally analog sources where you would require a TV card with receiver. It is this receiver that must be PAL compatible.

Could not find that your NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 video card has TV receiver capabilities.

rvnguy

I am sorry to mislead you. I was not trying to watch broadcast TV. I was trying to show photographs from my hard drive using a PAL TV as the monitor so I would have a larger screen. Examp;e. I will be in Paris and wish to show a friend photos taken in the the US on her TV rather than on the monitor on the laptop

Again did not mean to mislead you.

Don

That is different.....

Does your video card have a TV out connector? usually is a single RCA port?

As NVidia actually does not make cards, only chipsets for others, it will depend on if the card mfg has provided a TV out and then if it is switchable between NTSC and PAL. Check your card & mfg.

If no joy there, see the link, not real cheap but you decide.

rvnguy

Thank you, I was afraid that was going to be the answer. I have a Dell laptop, but I am not confident that I can get a straight answer from them. Sooo here we go.

- make sure your laptop has a TV out capability.
- ask your friend if his TV set is "multistandard". Many sets in Europe, particularly in France, are Multistandard. Because there are several flavors of PAL.
- France is using the SECAM modulation scheme. Not PAL. I am not aware of PCs in our market that output SECAM. This is why I asked about your friends TV capability for multistandards.

Thanks, I was aware of the use of SECAm in France. I will ask my friend if the TV has the capability of multi standards. If not, quess I'l just usse the laptop monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back