Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

connecting to a shared resource on WINNT fron UNIX 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

naveenrt

Technical User
Mar 23, 2001
US
Hi,
I have installed AIX4.3 and Samba 2.0.7 . I have got a tape drive on AIX and need to take backup of WINNT server from AIX. What i am planning to do is connect from AIX to the WINNT share drive which i need to backup . Winnt server is able to connect to a share drive on UNIX .
How can i take backup of WINNT server from UNIX . Can anyone help me on this

Regards
Naveen

You will need [tt]smbmount[/tt] (like I do), but the Samba binaries for AIX don't include that command!
I hope it works...
Unix was made by and for smart people.

Hello Elgis
Thanks for the response. I did try to run the smbmount command but couldn't find them in the binaries. Where can i find them ......???? . ANy web site where i can download.

Thanks and regards
Naveen.R.T

I don't know how to say this -cause it's not the first time we ask for this with Elgis (hello Elgis )- but it's absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to mount smb shares on AIX :-((

Indeed, AIX's Kernel can't allow it.

The only way is to share Windows file by NFS, with a product like Windows 2K Tools for Unix (but not free ;-)

Hope this will help you, ...

This is not quite correct. You will need to install another product to accomplish it, but try using sharity. It is published by Objective Development out of Austria. The product is a client that allows you to mount a SMB (or CIFS, if you prefer) share as a filesystem. Works pretty well.

Find them at

Thanks to dlmoore and windjam
Our comapny does not want to spend on third party S/w. that is the reason i went in for Samba. I thought when i can Map a drive to Unix shared drives from NT it should be possible the other way too. Looks like from windjam reply it's seems impossible. So what is the alternative now....????
Should i go in for Third party only .....???

Thanks and Regards
Naveen

I don't know IBM FastConnect, but may be anyone here knows!
I hope it works...
Unix was made by and for smart people.

Elgis
I want to use freely available S/w .Is IBM Fast Connect a free s/w.

Thanks
Naveen

As dlmoore says in a previous thread, i'm surprised to see how this topic is important fo a lot of people;

So, let me give some details to naveenrt :

- FastConnect is an IBM product (not free) which do exactly the same things than Samba ; see
for more

- Samba 2.2.0 allows NT/2K boxes to mount smb shares made on AIX boxes ; but the other way is impossible with Samba (smbmount is only for Linux & Irix boxes)

- Sharity (or Sharity Light, which is a free) allow AIX boxes to see NT/2K CIFS shares. I've not tested it but it seems to be a good alternative for smbmount (nevertheless, you have to compile it)

As a conclusion, whe can get for free a full interoperability between AIX and NT/2K ; besides, this solution is pretty faster than solutions based on NT/2K NFS handlers.

Private thanks to dlmoore for his good stuff

Good luck ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back