Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting to a SEB Modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleGremlins

Technical User
Jan 7, 2003
CA
For some time now we have been having difficulties connecting to one of our remote sites. It will eventually connect, but it usually take anywhere from 5 to 25 attempts before it will connect.

If you call the number of the modem from a telephone, it connects immediately. I had reported a trouble to the local maintenance provider, they have no issues connecting.

If I attempt to connect via procomm or OTM it takes at minimum 5 attempts consistently. On the rare occassions I have been able to connect on the first attempt, but that is very rare.

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

are you waiting 30 sec before you xmit the seb password, i've found that if i don't add that to the script a seb wants to lock up

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Procomm is setup for a 30 second timeout, not sure with OTM. Still, even with the 30 second timeout it still takes multiple attempts to connect.

Procomm current call progress window is as follows
dialing call
call proceeding
call disconnected
disconnected: no answer

Are all your attempts from the same machine? If so, can you try to connect from another machine using Procomm? Connecting from another machine will tell you if the problem is with the machine or the SEB. Also have you tried to connect manually (Data/manual connection) to the SEB without using the pre-defined Procomm connection? Sometimes this works when the connection directory is being flaky. This will tell you if it is a setting in the connection directory of Procomm. Also, if none of the Procomm solutions work, have you tried HyperTerminal to see if it's just simply Procomm all together?

Hope This Helps,

There are 3 PCs that try to connect from my office.
I have tried to connect manually in OTM and Procomm. I just tried again with hyper terminal, same thing - - no answer.

The local maint provider connects to the same SEB modem and connects the first try every time. If I call from my phone, it connects and attempts to start the handshake.

I just tried again with hyper terminal, same thing - - no answer."

You mean the modem just keeps ringing? if so you must be dialing the wrong number when using procomm or hyper-term.

put a butt set on the SEB to see if you can hear the line ringing.

i have had to power cycle a seb if the last connect just hung up instead of using crtl}A x to log off

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

We are dialing the correct number. The modem does ring at the other end, however, it will not connect and comes back "no answer".

John, you mentioned that you had to power cycle a seb. How do you do that? Can it be done from OTM as well as procomm?

no at the seb itself you might have someone so a manual power cycle, the older ones do not have a power switch, just unplug. if you can get someone in that switchroom have them plug in a analog phone to the seb line cord to make sure the psoted number is the one on the phone.. i had a remote site that had the same problem, the number had been verified by the provider and still got no answer, overnight a preconfig. seb..still no answer.. a 4 hour ride later to find out that the ext was correct, just not a did

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Try turning off compression in Procomm. Although it shouldn't make a difference, it appears to sometimes. Also, ask your provider what brand/model of modem they are using to see if you can obtain the same.

I never had any problems connecting to SEB's with various different types of modems, but a power cycle, like John suggests may be in order. If that is the case, make friends with someone at the remote site, or, better yet, next time you have to visit the remote site, connect another SDI port off your switch to a term server port (if available) and telnet to the thing. Nicer solution if it is available to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back